Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Madly deeply in love with another woman - should I go for it?

(44 Posts)
Snowglie Tue 28-Feb-17 20:14:58

Hi there,

I am so lucky to have found myself truly madly deeply in love with another woman. She is 10 years older than me. I have been divorced for around a year and am now settling in my own house with two primary aged DC.

The feelings I have for her are incredible. I never knew life could be this good with a partner - don't get me wrong, it's not all plain sailing and we challenge each other in our thoughts and feelings, but it's still just GREAT!

I've never been one for playing the field or multiple partners, but there wasn't much of a gap between leaving ex husband and falling for her.

Although it FEELS just right, I need to hear some rational thoughts from unbiased outsiders.

We are not "out" to many people. Currently it's only her family (who think we're a great couple), three of my best friends and a few of her friends. We work in the same field (although not same place) so our paths cross frequently and there are many shared acquaintances - none of these yet know. I've never before crossed work and personal life.

My DC know her as a really good friend and ask when we will see her again - she is really great with them, kind, clear, firm and boundaried.

Do we just go with it? I love her!!

JangleJem Tue 28-Feb-17 21:07:11

Of course you do!
What a glorious post and what a glorious time for you both.
It's wonderful to read such depth of passion and happiness.
When you know, you know.

wobblywonderwoman Tue 28-Feb-17 21:09:04

Of course! You know it is the right thing to do.. Don't live your life regretting what you didn't do.

OSETmum Tue 28-Feb-17 21:11:56

I don't see the problem here at all...

Ohyesiam Tue 28-Feb-17 21:16:12

Wow, what a beautiful thing to hear!
Yes, absolutely go for it.
Wishing you so much happiness.

whirlygirly Tue 28-Feb-17 21:20:20

Aw. I'm generally an unemotional old goat and this even made me a little teary eyed. Go for it smile

user1487175389 Tue 28-Feb-17 21:22:04

Yeah, go for it. Sounds fab smile

Glitterkitten24 Tue 28-Feb-17 21:22:38

I read your post with an increasingly big grin on my face! Your happiness is so apparent in your words, it's lovely!
Go for it- why wouldn't you?

TheSnorkMaidenReturns Tue 28-Feb-17 21:24:16

How lovely. Go for it flowers.

Obsidian77 Tue 28-Feb-17 21:26:20

Go for it. Hope you'll be very happy together. smile

Tootsiepops Tue 28-Feb-17 21:28:06

You must! You sound very happy and in love smile

BlueFolly Tue 28-Feb-17 21:31:00

It depends what you mean by 'go for it'?

Do you mean just tell everyone and be happy, or are you talking about getting married and stuff? If the latter then maybe it is a bit quick.

InstinctivelyITry Tue 28-Feb-17 21:32:02

OP I agree with the others... Go for it... love is precious !!

Haribotangfastic Tue 28-Feb-17 21:47:39

After 15 years of a mostly unhappy, mentally abusive marriage I also fell head over heals in love with a woman soon after finding the courage to leave my ex. I have three children (2 teens and a 6 year old).
I had only ever been with my ex (20 years) and got together very young. To find myself head over heels with a woman completely came out of the blue. Our relationship is amazing and I never believed love could be like this.
My children think the world of my partner and there have never been any issues at all with our relationship.
Your post reminded me so much of me. Good luck op and grab this happiness with both hands

Wayfarersonbaby Tue 28-Feb-17 21:49:17

Yes, go for it!!!!!

Congratulations grin

Littlelegs19 Tue 28-Feb-17 21:56:41

Ahh how wonderful! At the end of the day if your both happy that's all that matters! Go for it flowers

Winniethepooer Tue 28-Feb-17 21:57:04

I wonder if your new partner was a man, if you would have had such a positive response... I doubt it.

You know what? Its great you've found someone but why the rush to get the dc involved? Family etc?

Have fun. Relax. See how it pans out in a good few months time. Your dc have dealt with their parents marriage breaking down. Learning their mum is a lesbian will be alot to deal with.

You might not get such a positive response in RL.

Good luck.

Snowglie Tue 28-Feb-17 22:13:54

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I have thought a lot about it being another woman instead of a man, and have wondered if this actually matters.

I don't think it does - am I just naiive?

I agree that life is too short and can take sudden unfortunate twists and turns. If I put it all on hold for a bit so there is some space between getting divorced and moving on with someone else, will this make it better for the children, for me or for others? Or is it just to make others feel better about the change?

I know I'm biased but I think in this difficult world we should perhaps take happiness where we can.

If you have stories where it went pear shaped I'd like to hear them.

Thank you.

Winniethepooer Tue 28-Feb-17 22:22:30

MN is a weird place...hmm

Seriously think about your bloody kids, of course leave sone space.

Would you have a new boyfriend around your dc?

A girlfriend is even more complex. confused

Snowglie Tue 28-Feb-17 22:25:42

How much space did you leave, Winnie?

Winniethepooer Tue 28-Feb-17 22:30:48

4 years.

Snowglie Tue 28-Feb-17 22:36:59

How did your DC feel about "sharing" you?

Winniethepooer Tue 28-Feb-17 22:43:41

They had a good relationship with their dad & his wife.

I did it very slowly. Ds was 9 & dd was 7.

They seen it as a totally positive thing. Dp didn't move in for a long time.

Dp & I were together for 18 years. Currently seperated with 4 dc of our own. I wouldn't dream of introducing anyone to my younger dc.

Snowglie Tue 28-Feb-17 22:56:33

But it would seem Winnie that even with 2 DC, you went ahead and lived with another DP and had 4 more children with your new P?

I'm not talking about moving in together or having more children - I'm just asking the mumsnet universe if I should let myself carry on being in love with her although even after nearly a year she makes me feel fizzy with excitement and shiny and loved.

It's lovely to be able to love and be loved. I feel like it's making me a better mum - am I deluded?

0riole Tue 28-Feb-17 22:59:15

Good for you. Life is too short.

Although in saying that, there is a member on here I'm besotted (also both female) with and yet can't get the courage to confess. Doh hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now