Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Is there a way out for me?

(5 Posts)
Za1ny Sun 26-Feb-17 22:55:52

I need to separate from my partner I can't stand him, i actually hate him. The only thing keeping me with him is money.

A few years ago my dad purchased the family home in my name as I was in a well paid job at the time and he didn't manage to get a mortgage and I was living there so I didn't really mind. However, shortly after, I got married and moved away. The mortgage didn't really affect me in any way as my dad always paid it on time and my husband and I were renting. However, I'm now looking to separate but I'm just wondering how on earth I will survive?! I won't be eligible for housing benefit or income support because of the house ( not that I'd like to rely on benefits but it would have helped whilst I find a job) and I've been applying for jobs and I've been unsuccessful so far.

I can't move back into the family home again as there's no space for me and my two daughters and I wouldn't want to live there.

I've told my dad that he needs to get the mortgage off my name ASAP but as you can imagine it's not so simple. He's saying he is looking in to it but it could still take a months before anything is done

I honestly don't know what to do. Honestly, if I had a place to live without worrying how I would afford the rent I would have been long gone. wwyd?

oneohfivethreeeight Sun 26-Feb-17 23:52:41

I think there's nothing you can do other than change the mortgage into your dad's name. If you sold the family home you'd get dome capital but (a) where would your dad live and (b) your DH would probably claim a slice when you divorce.

DelphiniumBlue Mon 27-Feb-17 00:01:06

But presumably the house isn't actually yours? I imagine you're holding it on trust for your dad, especially as he is paying the mortgage. There should have been a trust deed drawn up at the time the house was purchased - check the paperwork.

BoomBoomsCousin Mon 27-Feb-17 05:48:26

Check the paperwork and seek legal advice. I'd be worried that if it is actually in your name, you may have to do some more significant maneuvering to make sure the house isn't included as an asset in any divorce settlement with your husband.

FrenchLavender Mon 27-Feb-17 05:57:01

How will the HB people find out about the mortgage if you don't tell them? Do they actually check all mortgage company records every time someone makes an application for HB?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: