Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Implant is ruining my life and my relationship!

(21 Posts)
Gupzilovespeanut27 Fri 24-Feb-17 00:27:06

Well, I was a very happy 30yr old with a awesome 5yr old and a loving boyfriend until about 3 weeks ago. I went to the fpc to have my mirena coil removed (5years were up). I couldn't decide what I wanted to do as birth control in the future but simply mentioned a lot of friends (same age) had been raving about how good the implant was!! So with that they gave me a local in my arm and shoved it in! No explanation about how my body could change ect ect. Well, from the 2nd day it was fitted my hormones surged! I was literally put of control. I was arguing for absolutely no reason and it started to turn into a war zone at home. My poor bf couldn't say or do anything right at all! He really couldn't catch a break. He tried to calm me down, asked why I was arguing with him... my reply I don't actually know why I'm rowing and tbh it's slowly got worse. He is very understanding and he knows this isn't like me! We've been together 4years and not once has he ever seen me like this until now. Problem is its slowly pushing him away because he is starting to hate coming home from work and me being so angry!! And freaking out over little things then breaking down into thousands of tears. I really do think I need the implant out... but what can I do in the mean time??

Phoebefromfriends Fri 24-Feb-17 06:12:17

Definitely go back to the fpc and get it removed. Is there a reason you didn't want to carry on using the coil? Take a deep breath explain what's happening to your bf and book that appointment ASAP.

category12 Fri 24-Feb-17 06:25:37

Apologise, explain, get it removed asap and lots of self awareness/self talk in the meantime (such as "it's not actually that bad it's the hormones"), pause, calm, reflect before you react.

Chamonix1 Fri 24-Feb-17 06:52:33

I had 3 years of this.
Go and get it removed, don't let the Dr talk you into trying it for longer.
Within days of me having mine removed I felt something I'd forgotten how to feel for 3 years- happiness.
Dh immediately noticed I was no longer behaving like an irrational bitch.
I'm never getting the implant again. Ever. grin

Gupzilovespeanut27 Fri 24-Feb-17 08:07:54

I should've kept with the coil bit I thought a change might be good. The Dr has already tried to tell me it will settle down just give it chance but I know my body. I've never felt like this before and I really do feel awful! Thank you everyone for your advice and kind words. In going to sort this today

Spadequeen Fri 24-Feb-17 08:10:53

Don't let them fob you off. You know why you're behaving this way and there is a simple solution to stop. Good luck.

Gallavich Fri 24-Feb-17 08:11:43

Which friends of yours raved about it?! I've only ever heard stories like yours.

user1483387154 Fri 24-Feb-17 08:13:43

Get it removed again.

PurpleNurple69 Fri 24-Feb-17 08:16:33

I'm another one who turned into an evil screaming banshee on the implant. It was the worst 18 months of my, and my poor long suffering DH, life. You know your body and your moods better than any health practitioner - tell them to take it out.

I tried the Mirena coil once and had to get it taken out 12 hours later as I was in so much pain. The Dr who fitted it thought I was being over dramatic and should give it some time but even she remarked on the instant relief I felt as soon as it was out.

Mileymoocow Sat 25-Feb-17 10:37:04

I've had 3. First 2 were absolutely brilliant, no periods for 6 years and no mood swings. 3rd one was hell! I was completely irrational, would fly off the handle at the smallest thing and used to cry over ridiculous things! My OH actually missed a couple of nights out because my anxiety was sky high. I had mine taken out and I was back to my normal self within days. Get it out!

LordPercy Sat 25-Feb-17 10:42:52

I've said it before on here, but the implant nearly cost me my marriage too. Bleeding every single day...ruined clothes, bedding, mattresses, huge mood swings, no sex drive...an excellent contraceptive indeed 👿 Ended up very anaemic.

I ended up at the doctors telling him in no uncertain terms that if he didn't take it out, right there and then, I'd do it myself with a knife. He took it out.

KelloggsCornFlakes Sat 25-Feb-17 10:49:19

I've recently commented on the "Angry" thread which is more or less about exactly the same thing!

You most certainly need it out. Some women are just intolerant of these hormones. I was for sure. Do not let them persuade you that birth control can't possibly do that. It does.

It's shit. I'm totally with you.

flowers for you and wine for your bf.

PollytheDolly Sat 25-Feb-17 10:50:52

Haha sorry this is me (Kellogg's) I was messing around in settings this morning and didn't change it back.

BonnyScotland Sat 25-Feb-17 10:51:34

exactly like Lord Percy.... I had the merina coil fitted 5 years ago.. heavy bleeding ensued.. iron levels plummeted no energy... Doctor kept insisting things would settle down... I was the lowest I'd ever felt.. I happened to see another Doctor 'regular gp was on holiday' who was horrified I was still bleeding continually over 13 months.... it was removed that very evening in a&e ..

I'd never recommend the merina coil to anyone.. for fear of them experiencing a similar fate ...

PollytheDolly Sat 25-Feb-17 10:52:22

I ended up at the doctors telling him in no uncertain terms that if he didn't take it out, right there and then, I'd do it myself with a knife. He took it out.

That's how you have to be sometimes!

LordPercy Sat 25-Feb-17 10:55:06

I was at my wits end by then...I'd stuck with it for over a year hoping it would calm down but that day I would have gone home and cut it out myself - it was desperation talking.

I felt like me again within a few hours.

PollytheDolly Sat 25-Feb-17 11:00:09

It makes me so angry (normal angry lol) that so many women seem to be suffering, and those around them. Some haven't cottoned on yet as to why, some know but are fobbed off then go home believing they really are a shit person. It's a disgrace.

I put my story on Facebook. I felt it was selfish not to share, even though I had to admit what I'd been like. I had 6 friends PM me saying they couldn't believe what they'd read and is this what was happening to them?

2 came off straight away. One was 10 years in and on ADs and severely depressed, with stronger medication as the years went by, the other had turned into a bitch and was treated her DH appallingly. Both have improved significantly.

Funny that.

Chickennuggetfeeder Sat 25-Feb-17 11:02:25

It drove me insane too im usually a really quiet laid back person. I also told them if they didnt take it out i would. Ended up using the copper coil as i had similar problems with most hormone type contraception. Lukily im now steralised.

Hope you get it sorted soon op and they dont try and palm you off

Icklepickle101 Sat 25-Feb-17 11:03:25

It's shit. Mine affected me so much I was referred to the mental health team after trying to remove it myself, I just wanted the bastard gone!! Get it out and you will be yourself again in no time. They will try and talk you out of it as "it can take 6 months for your body to adjust" but stand firm.

Calum talk to your partner, show him these if needs be, it's not you it's the artificial hormones!!

PollytheDolly Sat 25-Feb-17 11:11:47

I know we are worser cases but I wonder how many women out there who are milder cases often feel down, anxious and are depressed and think it's just them?

thedevilinablackdress Sat 25-Feb-17 12:24:10

I've had 4 implants, so obviously get on well with them generally. But I do get a bit uber-PMT rage like for the first few weeks with the initial hormone surge. I warn my OH that this is imminent when I go for a replacement implant. It goes after that as the hormone delivery into your bloodstream levels out. But of course go back to see your GP or the FPC to discuss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now