Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Breaking up...

(2 Posts)
Soheresthething Thu 23-Feb-17 22:16:35

Just wondered if anyone has been through this? My husband and I are separating. We have 2 kids (11 and 8). We rent, have no savings. I work part time and he works full time. My concern is how I can afford to be on my own. We agreed to joint custody of the children. I applied for a council house, but I have been put on the lowest band. I have no experience of the council house application system, so advice on this would be appreciated. Housing benefit wise, the LHA is £200 less than the rent I pay. The area I live in is expensive, but it's where the children are in school. My eldest has support in school, so moving away is not an option and I would like it to be as nice as possible for them, not taking them away from friends etc. Has anyone been through this. i don't see how we can both afford to live in a house big enough for the kids. I will get some tax credits, but just not sure how I am going to afford to live.

kateshair Thu 23-Feb-17 23:04:38

Hi there check the benefits checker thing on the Martin Lewis website that will give you actual figures.
If you have no savings or equity in a property you will be entitled to housing benefit which is sometimes quite generous.
Will you have the child benefit paid into your account ?
Also the joint custody arrangement. Is this what you want ? How will he manage the kids half the time if he is working full time ?
Will he may you maintenance ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now