Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How long do you wait?

(6 Posts)
mylifeisamystery Wed 22-Feb-17 21:50:16

My partner is going through a divorce which I have been supporting him with for nearly two years, it's becoming very petty and drawn out. I know his life is on hold while this is happening but so is mine. I'm starting to get fed up of it always being in the background and the topic of conversation. He moved in with me 6 mths ago so we could get on with our relationship but I feel like he's my lodger as financially he is still tied (although he does contribute to the household)
I've told him I'm not sure how long I can carry on like this, I feel bad and selfish saying this as we do get on well and we probably could have a good life together, but I'm worried this divorce could take years and I could just be happy on my own.
WWYD?

springydaffs Wed 22-Feb-17 22:42:18

Sounds like the best thing for you is to split. He can come back when it's all over - if you're still available.

pocketsaviour Wed 22-Feb-17 22:55:05

Why has it been going on for so long? Is there a lot of financial complications, or is it about residency of the DC?

Dowser Wed 22-Feb-17 23:18:08

Mine took two years

mylifeisamystery Thu 23-Feb-17 08:48:46

There's disagreements about property in U.K and abroad. Solicitors say it should be done by summer as Nisi is about to be read and court dates are set. I've heard about divorces going on for years, am I selfish to not want to wait?

hellsbellsmelons Thu 23-Feb-17 08:57:42

My very recent Ex is going through the same thing.
They have finally reached an agreement and it's going through now.
It took him 6 years!!!
My divorce took 5 years!!!
When there is more than 1 property involved and they can't agree it can take forever!
If you love him then you can be there for him.
If you don't want to know the details of the divorce then just ask him not to tell you. Keep that as a topic you don't discuss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now