Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

At wits end with "geezers" and "funny peculiars" (dating)

(10 Posts)
TarantularX Wed 22-Feb-17 10:58:17

So ... as PoF says ... I'm really putting some effort into meeting someone!

But the world of online dating (at my age - late 40s) just seems full of -

* geezers (some nice, some not so nice)
* real oddities and strange men
* maybe the odd conventional man who usually wants a younger model, a conventional "fit" woman to do extreme sports with grin

I almost find it disturbing, and in a weird way its making me feel more isolated, just reading profiles and getting odd little messages ...

NotTheFordType Wed 22-Feb-17 12:31:52

I found POF very depressing and absolutely full of fuckboys.

I found OKCupid much better.

I do think it depends on area. If you're in London I'd consider using Guardian Soulmates or Times Encounters (depending on your political leanings!)

HotNatured Wed 22-Feb-17 12:41:38

It gets a lot of criticism, especially on MN, but I find Tinder great, I've met some lovely guys and have had four relationships from there (okay three of which I finished after a few months but I'm hard to please grin )

Blobby10 Wed 22-Feb-17 12:47:09

I have been getting on Ok with POF - much better than Match ! Only had a couple of weird messages which I deleted, had a couple of 20 somethings looking for an older woman, and one romanian gentleman who insisted the language of love could not be expressed via messaging and that I needed to meet him tomorrow so we could find true love together!

c3pu Wed 22-Feb-17 13:04:46

The world is chock full of oddballs, online dating has a way of bringing them to the foreground though!

TheNaze73 Wed 22-Feb-17 14:09:12

It sounds like a representation of real life to me. Men wanting to date younger women, men thinking they're better than they are & on the flip women that called themselves crazy & fun loving (normally code for a weird cat lady) & women that are searching for a unicorn. Sounds like a mine field! Good luck grin

BernieBear Wed 22-Feb-17 14:35:06

I agree with HotNatured- Tinder is great! Had awful dates from POF and Match, Tinder is a breath of fresh air and somewhat more honest than the others. Good Luck

TarantularX Wed 22-Feb-17 16:07:11

Real life, haha Naze! I should chill a bit about it maybe, its just all a bit shock.

I can't quite bring myself to do "Tinder", maybe its association with "hook up" culture (ew!). Has it really and genuinely grown out of that? I just want a nice coffee and a larf with a decent chappie ....

TarantularX Wed 22-Feb-17 16:11:30

ps Have toyed with "paying sites" NotTheFord, I'm a kind of radical conservative so don't fit anywhere grin. But sometimes found the men on paying sites, as someone put it on MN recently, rather "entitled".

Are there actually any normal men over 45?

Probably not.

rosabug Wed 22-Feb-17 19:25:21

POF is awful. OKC is going the same way. Haven't tried Tinder but I think it is probably the most popular format now so therefore more to choose from.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now