Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I need some advice please

(7 Posts)
devilsice123 Tue 21-Feb-17 19:16:23

I need some advice please, in October my husbands uncle passed awayfrom Cancer he lived on his own and the bunglow has been left to my husband and his mum and also his brothers. My husband wants us to move into the bungalow.I don't think I can do it after seeing my uncle in law ill and dying in that place. He already took our 3 year old over without me and asked her if she wanted to live there. I don't want to be forced intomoving into a property I don't want tolive in and then being stuck there.Also the property is more than our place atabout £130,000. I thought if we bought a house it would be one than was chosen by both of us.I feel pressured.

Moanyoldcow Tue 21-Feb-17 19:43:58

Have you told him you don't want to live there?

pocketsaviour Tue 21-Feb-17 19:50:35

Is your H suggesting that you guys will move in there and pay rent to his brothers and mum?

RedastheRose Tue 21-Feb-17 20:10:31

Don't agree, your home is just that, your shared home a place you feel happy and secure in. The Executors of the Estate will have to deal with the property in accordance with the will. If it has been left equally between them then the executor will have to transfer it to them all as tenants in common in equal shares. They can then sell it and divide the proceeds. There is unlikely to be any provision for your husband and yourself to be able to simply live there, you would have to buy it off the other joint owners and I can see no reason why they would let you have it at less than full market value. But as I said right at the start if you don't want to live there you don't, ask your DH why he is trying to force you to live somewhere that you don't want to live rather than you both choosing somewhere and using the inheritance as a deposit. Ask him is he saying that his wishes are more important than yours! Ask him if he thinks he is the only person allowed to have a choice about where you live as a family!

devilsice123 Tue 21-Feb-17 21:06:34

he wants us to buy it off them,he wants to keep it in the family as his grandparents lived there but only from 2004-2006 when they had both passed away within a year of each other. His uncle lived with his parents and he was left the bungalow and lived there until he passed away

devilsice123 Tue 21-Feb-17 21:09:52

it needs to be valued independently so they can all have a share, I think its worth at least £130,000 as I looked at similar bungalows online in the local area. I have told him but he is still trying to persuade me.

RedastheRose Thu 23-Feb-17 01:21:00

It's not a long term family home then so there is no reason to go along with it, just say that you're sorry but you really don't want to live there and want to buy somewhere you both like. Don't give in to the emotional blackmail of 'the family home' because it's nothing of the sort.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: