Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Advice on locating phone, DSis missing

(22 Posts)
AugustMoon Sat 18-Feb-17 20:53:40

Please can i pick your brains - i know some of you are expert phone locators for whatever (often sinister) reasons. DSis went out late last night and not returned (is staying with DM) and i can't work out how to trace her phone. She has an iphone, i dont. TIA

Kikikaakaa Sat 18-Feb-17 20:58:57

She would have to have find my iPhone installed and active. Then you would need to sign into her iCloud account to locate her

Kikikaakaa Sat 18-Feb-17 20:59:17

How old is she?

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sat 18-Feb-17 21:01:12

The police can do it much more accurately then anyone else. Has she been reported missing?

There is no 24hr rule FWIW. Report it at any time.

AugustMoon Sat 18-Feb-17 21:15:35

Thanks. She's in her 30s, but troubled. Her phone is ringing, at least it was. Now straight to vmail. Its just odd as she left mums after 11 last night and left all lights on, doors unlocked. And she would respond to messages / phonecalls. Hmm

AugustMoon Sat 18-Feb-17 21:16:55

Not reported yet, thought it had to be 24 hours. DM wants to call them.

Kikikaakaa Sat 18-Feb-17 21:18:16

I would call them

iPhone batteries are shocking. Even a good one would only last 12 hours I imagine.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sat 18-Feb-17 21:20:40

Call the police. There is no 24hr rule and never has been. It's a common misconception, so please call them.

I'm an ex copper.

GinAndSonic Sat 18-Feb-17 21:21:47

Report it now. There is no rule about how long you need to wait

Redglitter Sat 18-Feb-17 21:23:59

The police can do it much more accurately then anyone else

Unfortunately they can't. The information the police get on where a phone is is in relation to the last mast it hit off. It's nowhere near as accurate as a phone finder

jbee1979 Sat 18-Feb-17 21:27:22

If you can get on to "find my iPhone", it pings before it switches off, but the info is only available for 24 hours.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sat 18-Feb-17 21:28:05

They can, however, find where a phone was last pinging even if it is now switched off, track the route it last took etc. Depending on where the phone is (rural or city) and the number of cell masts, or can be accurate to within a matter of metres.

The apps are fabulous, but only if they are switched on, someone know how to get into them, and the phone has power.

NerrSnerr Sat 18-Feb-17 21:30:51

You need to report it to the police. Hope she's just kipping on someone's settee.

Scrumptiousbears Sat 18-Feb-17 21:34:47

That's the issue with delaying reporting to police then calling and calling the and the battery goes. Now they can only go with historic locations and not current locations. Call them anyway there are other things they can work on.

"Find my iPhone" locations are massively more accurate than the information the police get.

AugustMoon Sat 18-Feb-17 22:23:38

Thank you everyone. Mum is calling the police now. Her phone was ringing, so assuming on all day. Now its straight to vmail. I wouldn't have a clue what her icloud log-in would be.

AcrossthePond55 Sat 18-Feb-17 22:39:09

Once she is found safe (and I'm sure she will be) do you think she might be willing to give you her iCloud login? If she is 'troubled', as you say, it may be a good thing to have.

TheCakes Sat 18-Feb-17 22:41:41

Yes, definitely report, especially as she's vulnerable.
Presume you've done all the obvious checking her social media etc? Hope she turns up soon flowers

debbs77 Sat 18-Feb-17 23:06:47

Goodness you must be very worried. Hoping there is a simple reason xx

JustEatYourDinner Sat 18-Feb-17 23:42:22

Hope you find her soon, OP.

notapizzaeater Sat 18-Feb-17 23:45:39

Hope the police can help. Have you posted in Facebook asking her friends ? Tagging her to phone home ?

rollonthesummer Sat 18-Feb-17 23:49:30

I hope she comes home soon x

BillSykesDog Sun 19-Feb-17 00:04:08

Hope you hear soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now