Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Another dating question

(3 Posts)
Lexia123 Sat 18-Feb-17 17:17:44

Just curious... do you ever feel like you'll never quite 'get over' somebody? I had a couple of quite painful breakups etc and have been on a lot of first dates since. But I've just never really wanted to see anyone again. I want to move on, I want to find somebody and have what I once had with others, but it's so hard!

Of the significant adult relationships I've had, one I met at work, one I met through OLD, and the best one I met on a night out in a pub with friends. So I feel like I've experienced it all ways! But I use dating apps etc but it just turns into endless messaging that never goes anywhere, etc.

As time goes on, I would say that the past is never out of my mind, and despite doing everything possible to meet someone new, it leaves me wondering why I haven't yet. For example, I try not to look at names on dating apps, and just look at faces, but when I find somebody I like the look of, he has the name of one of my exes! I'm sure it's my mind playing tricks on me, but part of me wonders whether it's the higher power trying to tell me something...! But it's likely just my mind wandering!

Would be great to hear from people who thought they'd never get over somebody and yet they did :-)

Kikikaakaa Sat 18-Feb-17 17:32:25

Twice I thought I wouldn't. I don't even know quite what happened but I did. The first one was my first boyfriend and I was still 'in love' with him after 15 years. I had built him into some fantasy man that got away but by chance I bumped into someone who knew him now and they told me what a mess he was. They then showed me a photo and I laughed at myself for days afterwards at what a twat I had been. It was a bit of a turning point for me.

Time does heal and so do hobbies and interests, having new things in your life?

Lexia123 Sat 18-Feb-17 19:27:56

That's encouraging!

I keep doing new things, not sure I can fit any more hobbies in....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now