Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Pretentious friend

(3 Posts)
BeautifulWar Sat 18-Feb-17 11:01:48

Hi,

First post here! Just a bit of a moan really. I have a friend who is absolutely lovely but can't help making stupid, pretensions comments that really make me cringe at times. Really stupid things about shopping in Waitrose or M&S (not saying it's a bad thing btw, or people who shop there are pretentious), going on like its Harvey Nicks and we're in an AbFab episode from 20 years ago. Frequently boasting about the area she lives in (which is nice but average in my opinion), talk about getting a bigger house (but never does) toys with the idea of sending her kids to private school because they're soooo advanced (but never does). She is genuinely lovely at other times, I don't understand why she feels the need to try and get one over the other girls in our group of friends. None of us are competitive in that sense, so it's not as if we're all at it. Quite frankly, they're not things i find impressive or are even on my radar. I find it a bit embarrassing and crass, and like she's making a bit of an arse out of herself. I usually just smile or ignore the comment, depending on what it is, and I think it must come from some feeling of insecurity, so I am sympathetic, but at times I also find it insulting that she's trying to feel superior to me and the others to make herself feel better.

Does anyone else have friends like these and how do you deal with them?

herwegoagain123 Sat 18-Feb-17 12:10:04

Everyone has friends who do something that is irritating. But its all about balance. If she is lovely otherwise you have to get over it or mention it in a light hearted way. I'm sure you do things that bug her.

BeautifulWar Sat 18-Feb-17 13:24:07

Moi? grin You're right, there are most likely several things I do that are annoying to her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now