Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Struggling to know how much relationship change is possible with a narcissist

(3 Posts)
Hmmmmmmmmmm10 Fri 17-Feb-17 21:58:55

Been through relate and trying to change, I'll admit I struggle to talk emotions with him but that's a product of experience as I can talk fine with family and friends. Tonight has really made me wonder, usual Friday night chat over a drink and realised it's always about him. So I started my own discussion about the challenges and positives of my work recently, mainly positive tbh as I'm actually good at my job. He didn't like this one bit. Came through that and without him saying it, I think he got it. Started again over when I'd rearranged the cleaner (at her request) and it was as if I was ruining his weekend and I Do no housework. Listed all I have done today and that he told me his plans for tomorrow earlier in the week so I went off that. As soon as I feel like actually, I have a point and it's made, he turns it to, we don't have sex often enough and we'll break up some time in the future. I desperately want this to work but fear in on a hiding to nothing.

Toohardtofindaproperusername Fri 17-Feb-17 22:04:30

Change - with a narcissist? No chance. At all.

Hmmmmmmmmmm10 Fri 17-Feb-17 22:09:47

Thanks for your honesty. I think I realise I'm not being irrational but my frustration at his stance to things makes me raise my voice which he takes to be a sign of my irrationality. Ah well, time to give my tenants notice I guess and work out custody 😓.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now