Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Do doesn't like my cooking

(42 Posts)
BusyHomemaker Fri 17-Feb-17 21:08:02

Today I cooked a venison casserole with boiled new potatoes and steamed green veggies. It took over two hours to cook and I prepared it so that it would be ready just before 8pm - so DP could have a bath after work. He gets home at 7:30pm. He just ate it quietly and didn't say a word. I asked if it was okay and he said fine. He only ate the casserole. After much probing and me telling him he was being rude and we wouldn't let DD get away with this he told me the potatoes were raw. They weren't!? I know the veg was slightly over done. He's upstairs now, probably sulking. Am I wrong to be upset? He point blank refuses to eat unless the food is absolutely perfect. We have to walk out of restaurants all the time... I kid you not! I'm actually really hurt and considering eating earlier, at a time that suits me better as my cooking is very rarely good enough for him to stomach. Am I being pretty?

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Fri 17-Feb-17 21:08:57

Buy him a cook book and an apron. . .

georgethecat Fri 17-Feb-17 21:10:06

I had one like this. Would order pizza after peering at my home cooking.

It was one of the many reasons I left him so so so rude

LovelyBath77 Fri 17-Feb-17 21:11:04

Hmm, sounds tricky. Maybe cook for yourself and your DD and let him cook for himself so he can do it how he likes it? Or if he's in a rush cook freeze stuff to heat up...perhaps

AyeAmarok Fri 17-Feb-17 21:11:30

Well, he can cook his own dinners perfectly then, can't he.

No sense in you wasting food if he's not going to eat it.

Branleuse Fri 17-Feb-17 21:12:21

stop cooking for him

BusyHomemaker Fri 17-Feb-17 21:13:52

To be fair, he is an excellent cook and does more than his fair share. He's incredibly picky, as in the food has to be excellent! I agree I should just cook for myself and DD from now on. He can sort himself out when he comes home from work.

Luciferthethird Fri 17-Feb-17 21:14:20

I agree let the arsehole cook his own food just you sort yourself and DD. Even better serve him beans and toast when he gets home.

TitaniasCloset Fri 17-Feb-17 21:15:10

What a spoilt child.

You aren't married to Gordon Ramsay are you op? If that was the case I might understand it.

This would put me off in a big way. You cooked that food with love and then had it thrown back in your face. Mind you I read that Nigellas ex never used to eat her food either, don't know if that makes you feel better or worse.

expatinscotland Fri 17-Feb-17 21:16:02

Stop cooking for him.

MiladyThesaurus Fri 17-Feb-17 21:16:11

Yes stop cooking for him.

I recently told DH (or not-so-DH) that, if he was going to come in and criticise my cooking any more, I'd stop cooking for him and just make things for the children and me. If he wants to act like a bloody good critic, he can cook for himself.

SweetChickadee Fri 17-Feb-17 21:16:23

He point blank refuses to eat unless the food is absolutely perfect

wow

Very easy to fix though. No way would I be cooking for him again. Picky fucker.

Notagain2017 Fri 17-Feb-17 21:17:55

I wouldn't even be making him a sandwich.

Tinseleverywhere Fri 17-Feb-17 21:18:51

He is being unreasonable but so many people nowadays seem to think they are a restaurant critic. I wouldn't cook him anything in future and if he cooks you something be sure to throw it in the bin and flounce out.

Notagain2017 Fri 17-Feb-17 21:20:11

I also wouldn't be walking out of restaurants with him. How embarrassing.

DeterminedToChange Fri 17-Feb-17 21:22:11

I can't believe he makes you walk out of restaurants with him!

Does he eat it and then complain, as he did with your dinner tonight?

Does he ever leave a tip? grin

MiladyThesaurus Fri 17-Feb-17 21:22:44

I would be mortified if DH walked out in restaurants. I just wouldn't go to restaurants with him at all.

It isn't that your DP has high standards, OP; it's that he's a wanker.

ethelb Fri 17-Feb-17 21:28:33

FIL does this.

FIL is a malignant narcissistic bully and the whole family are deeply dysfunctional and miserable in their pandering to them.

0phelia Fri 17-Feb-17 21:33:01

I'd be suspicious there's more to it than the food.
He's deliberately undermining you and your efforts, consciously trying to upset you.

DeterminedToChange Fri 17-Feb-17 21:35:25

I'd put money on him having had a MacDonald's on his way home from work and being too full for dinner. grin

BusyHomemaker Fri 17-Feb-17 21:36:46

We've only walked out if the menu isn't appealing or once when the waiting staff ignored us and were chatting with each other. I'm more easy going and can deal with an unimaginative menu! I don't think he's a bully but thus doesn't feel like respectful behaviour. Just tried to talk to him yet he's gone to bed. I asked if something happened at work but apparently not. So I told him he's acting like a spoilt child "well, so are you" Riiiight!? He's told me not to cook for him again if I'm offended by him not eating it. Grrr! Aaaand breathe!

Holly3434 Fri 17-Feb-17 21:41:52

What did you want him to do? Eat something he doesn't like? He is not your child so don't compare him. Next time serve it, if it ends in the bin so be it he'll be the one going hungry not you,

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 17-Feb-17 21:46:14

well there you are

no more cooking for Mr Wannabe Critic....he sounds horrid btw, and I am inclined to think his behaviour tonight is the least of your worries.

GreyStars Fri 17-Feb-17 21:46:48

We have to walk out of restaurants all the time... I kid you not!

Then

We have only walked out once

So which is it OP?

GreyStars Fri 17-Feb-17 21:48:14

But if you ran him a bath and made him food, and rather than saying I'm sorry it's not to my liking but thank you for making the effort, he went and sulked then yes that is rude

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now