Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What can I do to process emotions?

(6 Posts)
shakerattleandrollerblade Fri 17-Feb-17 00:21:09

Bit of a vague post, I know. And rather abstract, but I have a childhood of verbal/physical abuse (have had therapy for decades) and I have a real problem with dissociation which can go on for long periods of time.

There are quite a lot of things that have happened in my life over the last couple of months (a death/break up/friendship problems/problems with DC) and I am not processing my feelings about them at all. I am aware of the events happening, but I am dissociated and I am engaging in destructive behaviour like drinking heavily and binge eating as part of that escapism.

I need to break the dissociation bubble and get to grips with my feelings, feel them and process them.

Do you have any tips on how to do that?

omnishamblesssssssssssssss Fri 17-Feb-17 00:26:08

Write about everything in lots of detail.

dirtywindows Fri 17-Feb-17 00:34:34

A good counsellor

IllMetByMoonlight Fri 17-Feb-17 00:37:05

flowers
Feel like I should know, but am also looking for ways of processing some recent events. I read this tonight, and although it is kind of macro, it's compassion and courage spoke to me of the essence of what I need to do for myself.
www.truthout.org/news/item/39448-learning-to-see-in-the-dark-amid-catastrophe-an-interview-with-deep-ecologist-joanna-macy

jcne Fri 17-Feb-17 11:15:34

yes counselling is all well and good if you can chuck £60 a week at a vague investment in your future wellbeing but in the real world i think writing, keeping a self indulgent journal as i call mine, is a good start.

ladyface69 Fri 17-Feb-17 12:10:05

www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/dissociative-disorders/self-care/#.WKbnkdKLSUk

There's some good tips on here for dissociation which you could try. It can be a frightening experience. Could you ask you GP for a referral into counselling or your local mental health team refer you for distress tolerance? It's a really good course that can help you manage your emotions in a more helpful and less harming way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now