Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Liars

(8 Posts)
weluvu Wed 28-Feb-07 13:31:00

Do you automatically believe people (friends, partners etc) or are you normally suspicious?

I have a friend who tends to come out with quite a few "off the wall" stories, one being that her kids are alergic to all other washing powders apart from Ariel and because she's always used ariel with her newborn baby too she's now alergic to all the other washing powders too

Today she told me that she'd gone into the chemist to get some paracetamol for her baby and they have her methodone by accident... surely they wouldn't make a mistake like that??

Am I too suspitious or would you doubt these stories too?

weluvu Wed 28-Feb-07 13:31:45

that should read "They gave her methodone by accident".

Emskilou Wed 28-Feb-07 13:34:32

WTF methodone??? and why would she be getting paracetamol for a baby?? You're being too suspicious it sounds like a load of old codswallop imo

Emskilou Wed 28-Feb-07 13:36:00

That meant to say NOT too suspicious obviously

tribpot Wed 28-Feb-07 13:41:42

I'm pretty sure a dose of methadone would kill a baby. I think it is highly unlikely a pharmacist would get paracetomol mixed up with methadone - apart from anything else, they don't keep controlled drugs with all the other drugs, they're in a special locker. And the prescription has to be handwritten (quantity at least) and you have to sign the back of the prescription when you get the drugs. All in all: no.

Anniegetyourgun Wed 28-Feb-07 13:48:51

Some people just seem to make things up as they go along. It's not lying exactly, it's just that they open their mouths and stories pop out. Sometimes they even believe them (she probably believes the allergy story). Most of them grow out of it by the age of 12 though.

RosaLuxembourg Wed 28-Feb-07 14:22:45

My sister is a habitual liar and often comes out with utterly pointless stories like these. Trouble is after nearly 40 years of it nobody can now ever be sure when she is telling the truth and when not. I really don't know what makes her do it but we tend to just tune her out rather than confront her. Her stories are often medical in nature - she has claimed to have cancer numerous times for instance - what worries me is if she is ever really ill noone will take her seriously.
As far as your friend goes - I would just not react too much when she comes out with this stuff, she may be doing it for attention.

JodieG1 Wed 28-Feb-07 14:25:09

I wouldn't believe your friend for a second. No way would she have been given methadone by mistake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now