Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How long did you wait before TTC after getting married?

(51 Posts)
newlynesting Thu 09-Feb-17 02:38:14

I got married just under 6 months ago. The plan was to wait for a while before ttc (at least a year) because it's good to have some time where it's just the two of you together. It has only been 6 months but I am already feeling a very strong desire to start ttc. I'm not even pregnant but I already feel like I'm nesting. I've been looking at baby related items like prams, cots and clothes. DH and me have talked about potential names for a boy or a girl. It would be the first baby for both of us. I'm wondering how long other people waited before ttc'ing? If you both feel ready for kids is there any reason to wait before trying?

MommaGee Thu 09-Feb-17 02:47:50

If you can afford it, no reason to wait and tbh you dont k ow how long it could take.

I came off the pill a few months before the wedding and we married 18 months after we got together but I was 30 and he 37 when we wed.

Obviously its worth talking about what happens with work and views on discipline etc but don't put it off for an arbitrary amount of time just because you feel you should

5BlueHydrangea Thu 09-Feb-17 03:09:13

We didn't wait, got pregnant on honeymoon! But had been together 6 years already and it was one of the reasons we got married.
Depends on your situation really.

Paninotogo Thu 09-Feb-17 03:41:58

Did you only meet on your wedding day? I was pregnant about 7 years before my wedding day.

TheresABluebirdOnMyShoulder Thu 09-Feb-17 03:48:05

After the wedding ceremony itself? About 10 hours grin

I know a lot of people want time to enjoy being newlyweds first, and that's their decision. But if you're spending all your time thinking about TTC then you're not really living in the moment and getting the benefit of that. So I think you either need to just get on and TTC, or make a conscious effort to enjoy being just the two of you for a bit and not dwell on babies.

Littlelegs19 Thu 09-Feb-17 04:40:49

About 7 hours! 😀
We were together 9 years before we married. My first pill was supposed to be taken the day before we got married, I just never took it. Took nearly a year though to fall pregnant.
We were happy with how we did it. We had had the flat, nice cars holidays twice a year so didn't feel we had missed out. Even though moving home, getting married and falling pregnant all in a year was bloomin stressful! smile

ShelaghTurner Thu 09-Feb-17 06:40:15

7 years. I was stupid. If you want to ttc then go for it. I wish I had.

sunbird17 Thu 09-Feb-17 06:54:21

Do it! Don't wait. You don't know how long it will take you to get pregnant.

I came off the pill, started tracking cycles, and started taking folic acid 2 months before my wedding as I had been told it could take a while for my cycles to regulate.

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery Thu 09-Feb-17 06:59:02

How old are you, do you have career goals you want to hit before you have a baby, and how long have you been together? I was 32 when I got married, we'd lived together for a couple of years, and I had about 18 months post-qualification experience at work. With hindsight, it would have been better for my career to wait a bit.

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery Thu 09-Feb-17 07:00:02

Oh, missed the important bit - we started TTC as soon as we came back from honeymoon and DD was born a week before our first wedding anniversary.

RaeSkywalker Thu 09-Feb-17 07:00:50

9 months (I was 27 when we got married).

RoughBeast Thu 09-Feb-17 07:01:22

I was 37 weeks pregnant when we got married.

toomuchfaster Thu 09-Feb-17 07:28:53

2 years and 2 months after getting married I had my coil removed. We waited as I was doing a 2year course and didn't want to be pregnant doing it. Also I had no desire to get pregnant, I'm sure DH would have started sooner and he was the driving force for it then.
As a side note, you definitely don't know how long it will take, I was expecting at least 6 months of trying and fell first time! Didn't even have a period so dating things was fun; trying to explain my LMP was 3 years ago!

SuperBeagle Thu 09-Feb-17 07:32:44

We didn't wait, really.

DC1 was born 9 days before our first anniversary.

Imi22sleeping Thu 09-Feb-17 07:32:54

Came off the pill four months after the wedding and was 9werks pregnant on our first wedding anniversairy

Bluebellevergreen Thu 09-Feb-17 07:36:05

We started waaaay before the wedding so I was pregnant then yay!
We are not that young anymore and I didnt know how long it would take

TheLastUnicorn1 Thu 09-Feb-17 08:31:20

We started trying 3 months before we got married and 3 years later going for a consultation today for ivf. Don't want to be a Debbie downer but you just don't know how long it will take so if you both feel ready -which it sounds like you do.. then why wait?! Even if you are blessed to get pregnant right away you still have 9 months just the 2 of you! Good luck smile

TheEvilCoin Thu 09-Feb-17 18:19:23

We started straight after the wedding. And I'm glad we did, or it could have been years before I found out that I had endometriosis. Still TTC, but we've had no luck for coming up to two years.

If you want to, just do it. You never know how easy/difficult it may be.

Kintan Thu 09-Feb-17 18:30:22

We married quite soon after we met so waited five years before having our first child smile

ImYourMama Thu 09-Feb-17 18:44:06

5 months before the wedding (I was 18 weeks pg when we got married)

KatieScarlett Thu 09-Feb-17 18:49:43

DD was born 10 months and 3 weeks after the wedding. It was a nature will take its course thing.

RasperryInAMelon Thu 09-Feb-17 18:52:56

I came off the pill in May 2015 to let my body have a little rest from the hormones. DH and I got married August 13th and found out we're expecting on Sept 22nd.

DD will be with us this May! ☺

Ilikesweetpeas Thu 09-Feb-17 19:00:30

I wanted about 18 months wanting to enjoy being married ( hadn't lived together first). When it then took 6 years to conceive I wished we'd started trying sooner

Oogle Thu 09-Feb-17 19:02:50

7.5 years. Got married when I was 20. Timing was perfect for us 😊

RedElephants Thu 09-Feb-17 19:04:32

We didnt,
I was 31 by the time we thought perhaps we should think about having children, we'd been together almost 9 years by then.. got married when the boys were 6 and 3

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now