Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Anyone ever taken on their employer for bullying/other issues and won/got what you wanted without taking legal action?

(15 Posts)
Dineoutone Tue 07-Feb-17 23:50:32

My manager is terrible. It's been exhausting to deal with it everyday and I've completely had enough now.

Anyone ever raised anything with HR and found a good resolution i.e. Been able to move or left the company with pay or simply been heard? If so what problem did you have? At the moment I feel as if nobody wants to know and I work for a very big company so surely they should take this seriously...

Anyone have any experience?

Dineoutone Tue 07-Feb-17 23:52:29

Just for more info: I've raised things with HR and their answer seems to be 'you don't have to be here' - said in a kind way but indicating that I should leave voluntarily. Is that normal? I've been off sick because of my managers treatment and there's been no acknowledgement of this at all. Don't know where to go from there

pallasathena Wed 08-Feb-17 10:16:22

Can you give any details? What have you had to deal with from your manager?
I find the HR response curious...

joanslegs Wed 08-Feb-17 20:46:48

it depends what you want to achieve/how serious it is etc., has it affected your health? Hard to answer without more detail, although I appreciate you may not want to out yourself.

I've just resigned as in a similar situation (appalling manager), they seem to be shitting it as i am considering constructive dismissal - but equally am also considering cutting my losses totally for a fresh start. No one was bothered until I resigned.

joanslegs Wed 08-Feb-17 20:47:10

Also are you in the union?

Dineoutone Wed 08-Feb-17 20:56:17

No union.

I'm a junior member of the team. Manager has made horrible comments to me for a long time. I raised it with HR last week as I had had enough and his response was to hold a meeting to say I wasn't good enough at the job and needed more supervision. Nobody has mentioned since my own complaint about his treatment of me. He's also listed things he believes I have done wrong, nearly all of which I haven't (i.e. Said I need to be on time for work when I'm ALWAYS on time for work).

How can leave these comments when they are unfounded?

Amaried Wed 08-Feb-17 21:18:25

Honestly in real life it's very difficult to take on HR and come away with a favourable outcome. They either wait in the long grass for you and get you in something like it policy or they pay you off with a pitiful settlement and let any future employer know there were issues which would render it very hard to get another job. Think I'd send out cvs and let them too their miserable existence. Life's really too short and they are always going to be dickwads!

joanslegs Wed 08-Feb-17 21:24:24

Have you actually made a formal grievance? In your position, still being employed, that's what I would do if you can face it. Get a copy of the grievance policy first and if you do organise one you will be able to have someone attend with you, which is useful for your own support and they can provide a second set of ears. Do you have any concrete evidence, anyone who would back you up?

I totally sympathise, have gone through similar over the last 18 months and been off sick 4 months with stress. Resigned last week. We spend so much time at work, it's terrible to feel stressed and fearful there, especially when you want to go in and do your job.

Dineoutone Thu 09-Feb-17 08:36:51

Will raising a grievance go on my record?

I feel sick about everything that's happened and I don't know what to do. I've told hr and they are saying just go back and try again with my manager...

JerryFerry Thu 09-Feb-17 08:42:31

Sorry but they're setting you up to get rid of you. Better to plan your exit rather than waiting as plainly they are not motivated to improve your situation.
Record what has been happening, dates & specifics
Record meetings (notes), save emails
Don't have one to one meetings, take a support person or do it via email (trail) and look for a new job

Good luck

JerryFerry Thu 09-Feb-17 08:43:46

And no they don't take it seriously, they'll just want the cheapest solution.

shakeyospeare Thu 09-Feb-17 08:45:21

I did last April after going back from maternity leave (appallingly managed) and there being huge issues. I walked out two hours into the working day, picked up my tiny baby from nursery and went to my GP. I got signed off, contacted a solicitor, and went down a formal grievance route with a view to going to tribunal. It was the most stressful 17 weeks of my life and I lost over a stone. I won though and I got a settlement that paid the hefty solicitor's fees and any accrued debts from being off and then set up on my own.
Sometimes I wonder if it was worth it but I work from home with my now toddler and we just about get by - huge drop in income.
I'd say contact ACAS for some advice - they were crap but it's a starting point. Note everything down with names and dates. Think about whether you're prepared for the stress. If you've got a good enough case and you feel emotionally strong, go for it. If not, definitely look for a new job. Good luck, OP!

pocketsaviour Thu 09-Feb-17 14:49:16

How long have you been with the company? If it's more than 2 years, then you have legal rights. (If it's less than 2 years then you have little legal protection and can't for example claim constructive dismissal.)

Does your company offer any employee assistance program? If so, give them a call - they can usually give basic legal advice, and it's confidential so won't get back to your manager.

As a PP mentioned, the first thing you need to do is raise a formal grievance. Speak to HR and ask for a copy of the grievance policy. It's the law that they must have one, and must take your grievance through a certain process.

Keep notes of dates, what exactly has been said, get as much as possible in email. If your manager says "You keep being late for work" then send them an email saying "This morning you accused me of repeatedly being late to work. Please supply me a list of dates and times on which I have arrived late. Thanks."

Stuff like this makes my fucking blood boil, people end up just leaving because they don't want the stress and it just means the company gets away with it.

SandyY2K Thu 09-Feb-17 17:08:06

I have raised an issue and got what I wanted at work. I had a manager who wasn't very nice, but everyone else put up with her.

I'm also a HR professional, so I knew my rights and covered all angles.

Were you specific in your complaint about him?

Do you have evidence of the issues you raised?

What exactly was the advice from HR when you spoke to them?

Does your manager have any evidence of the things he's raised or have any performance issues previously been raised?

Because if nothing was said before you claimed, it could be deemed as victimisation as a result of your complaint.

I don't always get a chance to return to threads, so feel free to PM me and I can advise on on your situation with more information.

cgne Fri 10-Feb-17 15:47:18

are you building your case? e.g taking notes, witnesses etc? this is the most essential thing.

my grievance was upheld and my manager has 'resigned' as a result. but i am pregnant (there was only praise in the 3.5 years before pregnancy) so HR shit themselves - i was lucky, my notes were not as good as they could have been had i known more about what raising a grievance is like!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now