Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How doare I stop this.

(4 Posts)
abundantlyclear Sun 05-Feb-17 16:58:29

I have dresms - almost every night - about my mum and step dad. I have had no contact with them for 5 years now, due to them being abusive throughout my childhood. Sometimes I dream every day things. Usually, it's me trying to contact them again. My brothers are often in my dreams too - I miss them genuinely. Sometimes in my dreams I tell my mum what my step dad did to me - she never believes me or cares.

It's almost every night. Whether im happy, stressed, tired - doesn't matter. Do I have the power to stop this? It's getting upsetting. I nearly always end up crying in the dream - wanting them to forgive me I some way.

HolgerDanske Sun 05-Feb-17 17:01:47

Bless you... it sounds like your subconscious is trying to work through the very difficult feelings associated with your experiences. Therapy would probably help.

flowers

Garnethair Sun 05-Feb-17 17:08:04

Do you sleep laying on your back? I have distressing dreams when I sleep on my back, but am fine when I sleep on my side.

abundantlyclear Sun 05-Feb-17 18:06:24

I sleep every way. I'm a very light sleeper and wake up exhausted. I always wake even if I hear my own children turning in bed, getting up to the loo etc. I think I slept deeper I'd go through REM sleep maybe and have less dreams?
I booked in for counselling once, then cancelled. I just don't know what to say. Im 34 now and it was all such a long time ago.
Thank you for your replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now