Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Are relationships based primarily on passion destined for failure?

(5 Posts)
lottieandmia Sat 04-Feb-17 19:34:30

The most disastrous relationships I've had were also the most passionate because I was blinded by all that was wrong with it. Lately I've been wondering whether it's best to get to know someone, slowly over time and that a long lasting relationship is more likely to grow from that.

jeaux90 Sat 04-Feb-17 20:51:04

I don't know. I don't think there is a magic formula. What I have learnt that to make a good relationship last you need a good mix of kindness, love and similar libidos. You bond through sex I think, so if that is mismatched it doesn't bode well.

lottieandmia Sat 04-Feb-17 21:39:47

That's what I feel too. But often, I've been with people where the sex was amazing but we weren't compatible and the guy didn't have much ambition or prospects / or there was no relationship except the sex.

lottieandmia Sat 04-Feb-17 21:40:37

And kindness didn't feature in any of those relationshipssad

TFPsa Sat 04-Feb-17 22:07:55

All turns on what OP means by "primarily".

If it's pretty much the only thing then, yep, there's no hope.

If it's merely a key facet of a decent all-round match then I don't see a problem. All even very successful relationships have some conspicuous strengths and other areas that are only so-so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now