Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Divorce: How Do I Proof That My Husband has Alias Names?

(8 Posts)
user1469910385 Sat 04-Feb-17 00:22:04

Hi There

I am wondering if anyone on here can help me. To cut a long story short. I split with my husband due to domestic violence. Therefore, I received occupancy whilst still living in the UK. Due to securing a job abroad I was granted approval to relocate with our child as I could have been made homeless in the UK. There was no way I could afford to stay in London as a single mother.

Now we are going through a divorce, and due to finances I am representing our son and myself. The issue is whilst going through the child arrangements case it was highlighted in a report that my husband has 7 alias names. It was not investigated as the magistrates assumed this was possibly spelling mistakes. His name is not difficult - Maybe 1 or 2 could have been spelling mistakes, but not 7.

Anyway, whilst I was living in the matrimonial home (which is in his name) I came across a letter which had a different surname. This name has appeared on one his bank statements, which he handed in for the financial statement, where he appears to be transferring money into his account. There are a few other names which are on his bank statements which I believe could be his, but without evidence I do not know how I can proof this. The only thing I think I can do is show the court orders and cafcass reports from the child arrangements case as the judge wants to know the history of why we want a divorce. Can I do this? As the Caffcass report highlights he has aliases and Caffcass were supposed to investigate further and they did not.

My husband is claiming money from me, but I am the one who has child custody and have to travel back every other month for handovers. He has to travel here but he still has not done so. I am the only one providing for our child. Due to me relocating the CSA in the UK highlighted that it is not in their jurisdiction to chase him for money whilst living abroad and it will be up to him if he continues to transfer money. Therefore, the very minimal amount of money he was transferring (£30) has stopped.

Personally, it does not bother me if he gives me anything or not. Although, it is a bit of a struggle. I am earning enough to pay for rent/bills and support our child - food, clothes/shoes etc and have a good life. Luckily, he is in a public school and I am just paying for his lunch every month and things he needs for nursery. However, I would like him to pay maintenance towards helping our child. Yes, where I am living is cheaper than the UK but because I am also trying to keep up with my debts and ensure our child is taken care off it is damn well hard. When he starts primary in 2 years, apparently the he will be going on trips and swimming classes etc which need to be paid for.

He still not not working and claimed he was made redundant. I believe he asked the company to do it as he made out he was not performing. But at the time when I was able to pay for a solicitor (with the help of friends) the company he was working for paid him commission which was a really good amount and he did not even help with maintenance at the time. He highlighted to the court that he is setting up a company. Therefore, the money he is a government grant.

I know my husband and there is no way he can live on the minimal amount of money. Whilst living in the flat he left me paying for the nursery fees which was just under half my wages. Luckily,, I was receiving child care vouchers and 15hrs free. The 15hrs did not cover the summer months. At the same time I was paying for the bills and my debts. I decided not to pay towards the mortgage. And he did not pay for it either whilst I was in the property.

Before, all this happened I remember him telling me whilst we were together that he had 2 other properties. We were also viewing properties to buy which were priced at £600,00 - £900,000. I could not afford this, but he said he would sell his properties. He has denied this. Personally, I was not interested in his properties and buying a property for so much. The only issue is again I do not have evidence. If he has or not. Therefore, I can only go with the 7 alias names and can only pray the judge requests this is looked into.

The 1st appointment has now been adjourned and I am having difficulties talking to someone legally as I am abroad. I need someone who knows UK law. With the lack of funds there is only so much that I can do.

Thank you in advance!

thecatneuterer Sat 04-Feb-17 00:27:00

I have no idea I'm afraid. You may be better to post in Legal.

user1469910385 Sat 04-Feb-17 00:48:23

Thanks thecatneuterer I will try there.

ANewDawn Sat 04-Feb-17 10:30:07

Hi op. I'd report to the police. It looks like some kind of fraud going on. Also, if domestic violence has been involved - depending on certain circumstances- you can claim legal aid. It looks like a really complex situation to try and represent yourself. He claims money from you? Really? What for?

Iamdobby63 Sat 04-Feb-17 11:52:57

Yes I don't get why you have to pay him and also if he wants to see the son he pays nothing toward he can come to him. Is there any reason why you have to make the journey?

I agree, if you suspect he is fraudulent then do report it to the police.

Hope you get answers over in legal.

fuzzywuzzy Sat 04-Feb-17 11:56:08

If you run accredit check on him the additional aliases may come up if they're linked to your former matrimonial home.

fuzzywuzzy Sat 04-Feb-17 11:57:52

If the court order states he makes the trips to you, I'd refuse to do any trips for handovers it's is responsibility

girlelephant Sat 04-Feb-17 12:04:04

Can you approach legal aid in the UK & your country to seek advice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now