Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Scared to start again

(5 Posts)
BackInBlack78 Fri 03-Feb-17 04:34:39

Hey! I'd really appreciate some advice...

I'm in the process of leaving my alcoholic boyfriend, I'm almost 39 years old (never married, never had children) and have had a procession of fuckwit boyfriends. I feel like a (much older) Bridget Jones but without a Mr Darcy.

Is it bad that I'm terrified at the prospect of another relationship? My confidence is at an all time low and I can't see me wanting to be near a man ever again. I honestly think I'm broken this time sad

Please tell me I'm not the first to feel like this

pallasathena Fri 03-Feb-17 08:47:42

You're not the first and you certainly won't be the last. But you do need to think long and hard about why you go for the undesirable sort in your relationships before you start dating again.
Maybe, counselling would help. Or buying some books that deal with the psychology of love. Or maybe, just give yourself permission to not engage in romantic relationships for a year until you've sorted the above out.
This is your life and you deserve a happy, healthy, fulfilled time while you're here. Understanding that is key.

BackInBlack78 Sat 04-Feb-17 03:05:28

The problem is, they are fine at first - then the undesirable traits start to surface... sometimes it's a long time before I notice them!

Maybe have a look at baggagereclaim.co.uk. It's a blog about relationships - the author is very wise and no nonsense. It can help you to recognise patterns in the partners you choose, and red flags that you might want to look for when you feel ready to start dating again flowers

BackInBlack78 Sat 04-Feb-17 08:08:50

Thanks for that, I'll have a look and read up - feeling so stupid at the moment sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now