Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Getting divorced, how can I find out what my exDH is actually worth?

(11 Posts)
Febrocks Thu 02-Feb-17 21:51:00

I am getting divorced. My ex has a complicated financial set up and I am sure he is currently doing a lot of clever tricks to hide his money. I've been told I should look into getting some Forensic Accountants to try to find out what he is worth, but I've never heard of this before. Does anyone on here know anything about this? I'm currently a single mum and I really have very little cash to spend, not sure how to handle this.....Do you think I can do a DIY divorce and just get the financial consent order from a lawyer or is this much too risky?

RedastheRose Thu 02-Feb-17 22:20:29

Much too risky. Get a SHL and get them to ask for full disclosure of financial matters. If he has enough to be hiding it you are possibly due to receive a decent sum on divorce. SHL may well be able to postpone payment until settlement is reached. You can but ask. See a specialist divorce lawyer and take advice. Take any paperwork you can get your hands on i.e. Bank statements, tax returns etc

nespressofan Thu 02-Feb-17 22:34:20

I would see a lawyer asap

Yesitsuptome Thu 02-Feb-17 22:40:35

Thanks Red. flowers
Will a full disclosure of financial matters actually be full disclosure though? Will my SHL have a way to know that the full disclosure is real? And also, how do I find an SHL? I think I have an L, but maybe not soooo fantastic.
Thanks very much for the advice though.

nespressofan Thu 02-Feb-17 23:05:48

Only you will know whether you have a SHL or not, or you go by personal referral. The SHL will only know whether H is hiding stuff by what what he puts on his Form E. If you think he is lying or hiding stuff, let SHL know. I've been through it. It is horrendous. Get the best legal advice you can afford if you feel you need it. Only you will know. No SHL has a crystal ball unfortunately. I wish you only the best because this is a horrible time. xxx

Febrocks Thu 02-Feb-17 23:44:18

I think I don't have a SHL then. But she told me to contact a forensic accountant, which I suppose might be a genius move, but I really don't know if I can afford it and maybe I should be focusing more on a truly SHL. And I think my soon to be ex H is doing his best to hide everything...and he will also have loads of money to throw at this so I'm sure he has a SHL as well as a SH accountant!

Febrocks Thu 02-Feb-17 23:45:20

(the flowers were for you as a thank you, not for myself as a condolence!)

nespressofan Thu 02-Feb-17 23:49:54

Many law firms have forensic lawyers/accts inhouse. If you think he is hiding money, he probably is. Your best way forward is to contact a decent lawyer and see what they say. If your H is employed, things are simpler. If he is self employed, that's another story. Get all financial info, bank statements, pensions, blah blah asap and I truly wish you the very best. x

RedastheRose Thu 02-Feb-17 23:55:00

A forensic accountant may be needed depending upon what assets your stbxh has. If you think he is hiding stuff then your solicitor can apply to court for disclosure of all bank accounts, company structures etc. She/he should be able to advise you properly and if that isn't happening then I think you may need to appoint a different one. It is a very difficult process but depending upon how long you have been together, living standard during the marriage etc you may be entitled to decent payout. If you have no money I think you can ask your solicitor to apply to the court for them to order interim support which would help you while things get sorted.

Febrocks Fri 03-Feb-17 23:52:14

Thanks both of you, this is really helpful. It's such a daunting time and difficult to be clear about what to do. I basically have very limited funds to pay for the divorce and I think you are right Red that my current Lawyer is not advising me very well. But I'm guessing if I get a SHL then they will be more expensive and I don't want to start a divorce I can't afford to finish! And I know I probably need a barrister later. Do you think I can get an interim order before I apply for the divorce proceedings and then use it to pay my legal fees?

RedastheRose Sat 04-Feb-17 12:32:16

I don't know is the honest answer. You could be paying almost as much for a crap lawyer as you would for a SHL. A good one will know what you need to do, you are far from the first wife trying to divorce with limited funds ask friends or family who have divorced if they can recommend someone who knows their stuff alternatively if you know anyone who works in a lawyers offfice ask them to ask at work who they fear being in the other side in a divorce. Usually means they are the best. A good lawyer will also know exactly what they are doing so will save time faffing about which saves money in the end. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: