Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Free counselling/mediation services?

(8 Posts)
cookiecooks Wed 01-Feb-17 09:52:47

I need to split with my husband.

He had been emotionally abusive over the years and I have had enough.

I've told him I want to split and he goes from not accepting it to opening his own bank account etc.

I try to talk but he gets angry.

We can't afford to pay for any mediation services, are there any free ones out there?

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 01-Feb-17 12:08:33

You do not need mediation, it will be a waste of time with an abusive man. They can and do use mediation as a further weapon against their chosen victims. The same with counselling; joint counselling is never recommended if there is abuse of any type within the relationship.

I would be talking to Womens Aid on 0808 2000 247

AreWeThereYet000 Wed 01-Feb-17 13:43:20

Majority of solicitors offer a free half hour/hour appointment - you wouldn't get anything sorted in this time but would get advice on how to proceed and who to contact.

Citizens advice may also be able to help out with advice and next steps x

cookiecooks Wed 01-Feb-17 14:56:29

I just want to speak about separating with someone in the room to step in when he won't let me speak etc.

I don't want to call women aid - I have a 14 year old son from my ex and I can't disrupt him that much.

AreWeThereYet000 Wed 01-Feb-17 15:47:20

Could you not get a non professional unbiased person to mediate between you such as a mutual friend, who can step in on either side when one person isn't getting there say? X

cookiecooks Wed 01-Feb-17 17:23:53

No, he thinks he's right all the time and every one else is wrong, unless they are a 'professional' and then they are sometimes right.

cookiecooks Wed 01-Feb-17 17:24:11

We don't have any mutual friends at all

pocketsaviour Wed 01-Feb-17 18:13:29

Call WA for advice. They're not the police or SS, they will give you advice.

It's unlikely from the sound of it that you'll get an amicable split so best to assume the worst and make your own preparations.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: