Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Gut feelings

(30 Posts)
Fireandflames666 Tue 31-Jan-17 15:47:05

Just curious as to how many people here have listened to their gut feelings and ended up being right?. Just about people/things/situations in general.

BitOutOfPractice Tue 31-Jan-17 15:48:17

In an important situation when I just felt something was "off" I was right. Never believed in it before then to be honest

ImperialBlether Tue 31-Jan-17 15:52:43

I'm a massive believer in this and have been found to be right (unhappily) many times, though sometimes not known it for a fact for years.

BantyCustards Tue 31-Jan-17 15:54:54

Yup, I've almost never listened to it and have sorely regretted it each and every time

Ellisandra Tue 31-Jan-17 16:01:27

Absolutely.
We're cleverer than we think we are!
I think some people reject it because it sounds a bit woo and magic and not rational.
On the contrary, I think it's very logical.

For example, if you think a friend is being off with you, your brain is probably processing more body language than you are aware of. Or if you're wary about your husband's secretary, chances are your brain has registered a recent increase in the times he has mentionitus.

FrizzBombDelight Tue 31-Jan-17 16:24:40

Yes!!

Fireandflames666 Tue 31-Jan-17 16:28:42

It's interesting isn't it?. I have this niggling feeling at the moment and i keep brushing it off as ridiculous.

mickyblueyes Tue 31-Jan-17 16:36:15

Absolutely 100% trust you gut.

mickyblueyes Tue 31-Jan-17 16:38:53

I even found evidence to back up my gut feeling and as you say "Brushed it off" as ridiculous. Sometimes your mind doesn't want to believe what your gut is telling you.

Huskylover1 Tue 31-Jan-17 16:39:18

Yep - ExH cheating and gas lighting. Took me years to get to the truth!

Bluebell9 Tue 31-Jan-17 16:44:14

I always trust my gut. When I was with my ex, I went out for lunch with a female friend but had a feeling I'd see my current boyfriend but it wasnt a good feeling. While I was sat in a quiet part of the restaurant, I saw the current boyfriend walk in with another woman from work. He swore it was just a friends lunch and they had bumped into each other. Turns out he was lying and trying to start an affair with her as he had told her he was single!

Bluebell9 Tue 31-Jan-17 16:45:24

I mean the current boyfriend as in the one at the time. Now the ex!

Ellisandra Tue 31-Jan-17 16:53:29

I just remembered I had a "gut feeling" I was going to be mugged. Didn't act on it, no time - I was mugged about 5 seconds later.

It wasn't magic! It was my brain processing very quickly that 4 young men looking at me from a doorway on a not so great estate could well have that in mind.

Our brains process things amazingly quickly. I was only vaguely aware of them in my peripheral vision.

In my opinion, instinct / gut is just a form of peripheral vision - very fast processing by your brain, or processing with a better handle on data than you consciously have.

BackInBlack78 Tue 31-Jan-17 16:56:30

I've not listened to my gut many times... as a previous poster also said above, regretted it every time!

Fireandflames666 Tue 31-Jan-17 17:05:22

Oh dear, i better listen to it then 😯.

Joysmum Tue 31-Jan-17 17:57:35

I'm the opposite. blush

I'd come out of an abusive relationship and when I got together with DH, I couldn't trust him, it trust my instincts because I'd trusted before and was wrong so really was in a mess.

DP, as he was then, understood and was patient. I snooped, I was jealous and paranoid.

I had nothing to worry about and my snooping allowed me to satisfy myself that for whatever reason my dh truly loved me as much as I did him.

It took a few years but I healed and learnt to trust again, and even learnt to trust my own judgement again! We're now nearly 24 years on and have a happy marriage rather than an ok one.

ImperialBlether Wed 01-Feb-17 14:40:08

What is it, OP? What's on your mind?

redrosered Wed 01-Feb-17 14:46:33

Whenever my gut feeling tells me something I am always right.. And I hate it because it's not a nice feeling but it never lets me down xx

Passthebiscuitspls Wed 01-Feb-17 16:09:57

Oh, you need to trust it. Mine has never failed me yet. About people, about situations and about my children. It's just helped me figure out my husbands affair, and exactly who it was with!

Please go with it. Xx

hellsbellsmelons Wed 01-Feb-17 16:11:35

Oh yeah - on a few occasions now.
Causing me all kinds of shite right now!

jeepersweepers Wed 01-Feb-17 16:14:54

Yep. Suspicions about partner cheating. Took an anonymous tip off to make me properly snoop and get to (some of) the truth.

I look back now at the things that made me suspicious and marvel at how I ever ignored them.

Starryeyed54 Wed 01-Feb-17 16:29:16

Trust it. Everytime i've ignored it, i've regretted it.

ageingrunner Wed 01-Feb-17 17:05:52

The gift of fear by Gavin de beck (I might have got his name a bit wrong, sorry) is all about following your gut. Really important to do so and could save your life. It's not magic, as a pp has said, but what you regard as a gut feeling is actually your brain processing stuff that you might not have even consciously realised.

user1479305498 Wed 01-Feb-17 17:14:24

I had a horrible gut feeling about DHs emotional affair 11 years ago, but was gaslighted too--come 11 years later and I find the silly git had left around a pile of lyrics he wrote in a drawer for this person (easily identifiable) -- I should have gone with my gut at the time as now its not as easy to actually get the full extent of what was going on and much easier for them to lie. Go with it every time..

2cats2many Wed 01-Feb-17 17:17:18

93% of all communication is non verbal. Your gut is speaking the truth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now