Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How did you tell your young children other parent is leaving?

(3 Posts)
Sunshine0915 Sat 28-Jan-17 18:48:48

Had hoped it wouldn't come to this but looks like Dh will be moving out next week (has a friends place to let)

We have 2 dc, one is too young to understand but don't know how to broach the subject with older dc who is 8.

Don't want to out myself so won't go into the reasons too much but dh has substance abuse issue, has also cheated in past relating to the substance abuse but obviously don't want to tell an 8 year old all this.
Helpful advice much appreciated

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 28-Jan-17 20:10:07

What we, rather I did as ExH was too chicken to do it was,
Mummy and Daddy are not making each other happy, we have decided that it would be better to have two happy homes rather than one unhappy home, but we both still love you very much.

Sunshine0915 Sun 29-Jan-17 09:22:20

Thank you, I have tried not to rise to the air with arguements but obviously ds has heard 1 or 2 so probably has a good idea we aren't getting on sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now