Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Is match.com worth the money?

(18 Posts)
EggcellentBuisnessOpportunity Fri 27-Jan-17 18:27:26

Its £9.99 a month if you do 6 months but you have to pay it all at once!

I don't have £60 spate.

They do £20 a month for 3 months split, is it worth it though?

I've had a free profile for a few months and have some messages and stuff but I can't read them until I pay.

I'm a lesbian btw so would be great if anyone knows if it's good for same sex relationships.

EggcellentBuisnessOpportunity Fri 27-Jan-17 18:27:40

Spare*

electrasy Fri 27-Jan-17 18:40:49

I know two marriages. In both cases I have never known my friends to have found a more perfect match. Both husbands are vastly superior to all previous partners found by more 'traditional' offline means! Not same sex so can't comment on that but based on the couples I would definitely give it a try if I were single.

PaterPower Fri 27-Jan-17 18:51:48

Straight male in my case. Didn't think it was any better than POF - same number of dead profiles, same number of people just looking to liven up their boring marriages.

EggcellentBuisnessOpportunity Fri 27-Jan-17 18:55:39

Is POF free?

I don't even know if I'm actually looking for anything.

I've just been dumped and need some distraction because I feel like absolute shit. I've never dated before and it is overwhelming.

rumred Fri 27-Jan-17 19:11:26

Try plenty of fish first. It's like trawling through shit for diamonds but there are a few... And no financial outlay

PaterPower Fri 27-Jan-17 19:17:18

Yep, POF is free - there are some bits which need a fee but you can get by without paying.

Sorry you're feeling shit. It's definitely worth giving POF a shot. You can select people just looking for a fling (or whatever) as well as people wanting ltr

helenfagain Fri 27-Jan-17 19:20:47

I have been on match and Pof and to be honest it's just the same people on match anyway. A few more weirdos/nutters on Pof but you can weed them out pretty quickly.

Vanannabananna Fri 27-Jan-17 19:23:01

I met my husband on eharmoney. Our son was born on our first wedding anniversary.

pastabest Fri 27-Jan-17 19:25:05

I used Match after coming out of a long term relationship in my early 30s.

Chatted to two men within 48 hours of having a profile. Went on a date with one of them 5 days after first chatting. It went very well...

18 months later I'm 39 weeks pregnant and very happy, best £60 I've spent grin!

GerardNoWay Fri 27-Jan-17 19:41:37

I met my OH on Match, so worth it for me.

Have a look on Topcashback, if I remember correctly I got more cash back than I paid for a 3 month subscription. Might be worth a try!

POF is alright but lots of people looking for more casual encounters from my experience.

isseywithcats Fri 27-Jan-17 20:32:54

i paid for match and in 3 months didnt get a single date or message, POF got loads of dates and found my now current partner on there and no cost

SmileEachDay Fri 27-Jan-17 20:38:28

My best friend is a lesbian. She's fairly recently met her now soon to be wife on POF.

They are stupidly in love and are moving to Portsmouth <irrelevant>

LucyLocketLostIt Fri 27-Jan-17 23:09:30

No, it's not worth it. Try plenty of fish and ok Cupid instead for free.

ShatnersWig Sat 28-Jan-17 11:08:04

In my experience and that of a great number of friends, none of the paid sites are any better than the free ones and generally OLD doesn't work for a huge number of people, a lot of people find it hits their self esteem if unsuccessful and unless you live in a large town or city it's rubbish. Generalisations but all based on a group of us comparing notes and living in different areas

Blobby10 Sat 28-Jan-17 12:12:32

Havent tried POF - Match didn't work for me - got plenty of responses but those who winked at me didn't match my one criteria (must be over 6ft!) and those I messaged who WERE over 6ft never replied to my message! Waste of £60 imo. Currently trying to decide whether to fork out for elite singles or something similar or just go out more in real life and see what happens

GinIsIn Sat 28-Jan-17 12:15:45

DH & I met on match. Together 5 years now and baby due any day. grin

DrFoxtrot Sat 28-Jan-17 12:21:10

How does everybody find these sites compared to tinder? I was always under the impression that most people OLD are also using tinder. Have I assumed correctly?

I deleted OKC after 12hrs as I was tired of blocking weirdos who sent me messages. I like tinder as you have to match first but I'm just wondering if I should give POF or Match a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now