Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Vasectomy

(19 Posts)
YouSirName Fri 27-Jan-17 14:25:20

Am a good way down the line toward having one. Have rightly been informed of the possible side affects of a) persistent loss of sensitivity and b) erectile disfunction.

Any thoughts or experiences offered are gratefully received.

AnyFucker Fri 27-Jan-17 14:27:30

My husband had one years ago. He had no problems post op. The freedom from having to sort out contraception revolutionised our sex life.

expatinscotland Fri 27-Jan-17 14:29:25

Mine had one, too, about 7 years ago. No problems. Bliss!

scaevola Fri 27-Jan-17 14:30:03

If by a) you mean PVPS (lifelong pain with no real treatment options though some alleviation might be possible) then it's a 1:10 risk (source NHS. It's not exactly loss of sensitivity, it's the onset of chronic pain.

b) is less clear cut. There's no physiological reason, but it does seem to occur and that suggests a psychological reason. It does seem to occur more in men who have felt pressured into the op or have other regrets about it.

SorrelSoup Fri 27-Jan-17 14:35:11

Massive pain following the op for a month. Then recurrent ball pain every now and again. I dismiss it as being like a period, maybe I should take it more seriously. Brilliant that he's had it done but reading other stories I think he was lucky. Some men are really struggling out there. We didn't take it seriously. Huge pain during the op too sad.

DramaAlpaca Fri 27-Jan-17 14:36:47

DH had one after DC3 was born. No problems, quick recovery, no issues.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Fri 27-Jan-17 14:36:48

DH had one a couple of years ago now and was also quite worried about possible side effects (well, you would be wouldn't you?).

He needn't have worried though - there was just a minor bit of discomfort for a few days after the surgery and no lasting problems. Everything still works fine!

I totally agree with PPs - it really is liberating to no longer have to worry about contraception. It can do wonders for your sex life wink.

EweAreHere Fri 27-Jan-17 14:40:23

DH had one after our last child. Outpatient procedure, home immediately after, icepacks off and on for a day. He was absolutely fine after a couple of days. No problems.

jerryfudd Fri 27-Jan-17 14:43:12

Dh recently had one. Op was easy. Was a bit bruised for a week but after that was fine. No problems so far

mdocman1969 Fri 27-Jan-17 14:44:31

I had one about 5 years ago - a bit of swelling for a couple of weeks and felt like I'd had a good kick in the bollocks - but was probably because I didn't rest properly for long enough. Otherwise no problems and no regrets

FannyFifer Fri 27-Jan-17 14:48:36

DP had one 5 years ago, he overdid it the first couple of days & things got a bit swollen. No problems since and has been great for our sex life. grin

YouSirName Fri 27-Jan-17 14:49:23

Thank you kind people for the medical advice, digital hand holding and for opening up about delicate issues. Good to know that, in the main, things run smooth and am looking forward to more worry free future x

DrDreReturns Fri 27-Jan-17 14:49:54

I had one eight years ago. Took about a week to recover during which time I was very sore. Since then no problems at all, it's brilliant not having to worry about contraception. It took six months post op to get the all clear.

lonelysaddo Fri 27-Jan-17 14:57:15

Dh had quite bad swelling but not painful. He just spent a few days in trackies with some frozen peas on his "area"

Agree it's amazing not having to worry about accidents anymore.

PaterPower Fri 27-Jan-17 16:41:31

I had mine about 8 years ago. Ironically my now-ex felt I should have waited a bit longer (ironic because she had an affair a couple of years later which broke our family up anyway) but I was very sure I didn't want any more kids.

I also knew that I wouldn't want more kids with someone else down the line, were we to split up.

In terms of the op, it was pretty quick - uncomfortable but bearable. Recovery was about a day and there was some bruising and discomfort for about a week after, but nothing too gruesome.

I do know one guy who has had long term pain since, but a lot more of my friends have had it done with no issues.

Soubriquet Fri 27-Jan-17 16:42:48

My dh had one a week ago.

Had some tenderness for a few days and is now back to normal, comfortable and happy

maras2 Fri 27-Jan-17 16:46:48

DH had his 34 years ago.
The best £90 ever spent.
In our 60's now and still very active. wink

IAmAPaleontologist Fri 27-Jan-17 16:47:03

Dh is another one who has had no problems. I think the thing with a vasectomy is that if you are one of the people who gets side effects long term then it really, really sucks because there isn't a whole lot you can do.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Fri 27-Jan-17 16:49:17

DBro is one that has had terrible problems.

There is a risk, as there is with all procedures.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now