Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Mini break alone - anyone done this and what's it like?

(28 Posts)
Dineoutone Thu 26-Jan-17 07:18:51

I want to do this despite having a friend I could probably drag along.

But I have a fear of feeling totally lonely especially at dinner time. I wouldn't be 'traveling' as I only have weekends/long weekends to do this.

What's it like?

Bitrustyandbusty Thu 26-Jan-17 07:28:50

It is one of life's greatest pleasures, doing your own thing. No need for 'what do you think?'. No discussions or negotiations. Eat when and where you fancy. Pop into galleries or whatever on a whim. Take a good book or a smart phone for browsing if you feel self conscious sitting alone. Enjoy the silence.

perfectlybroken Thu 26-Jan-17 07:32:30

I've been on holiday alone, the days were wonderful, I found the evenings I found a bit strange, I wasn't that comfortable eating alone in restaurants etc. That said I'm a bit older now and i don't think it would bother me.

CordeliaFitzgerald Thu 26-Jan-17 07:39:52

I do this sometimes. It's great, just doing whatever you like. My main thing is to have a vague plan of activities, otherwise I end up doing nothing (although that's fine if that's what you want to do) - so I'll plan which walks I'm going to do, where' I'm going to eat etc. Dinner is the only bit I don't like, I tend to eat early ish either somewhere outside the hotel or in the bar which feels less awkward than sitting in a hotel restaurant alone. And like PP said, always have my tablet or phone to hand for books etc.
Go for it, you'll probably love it!

Ratonastick Thu 26-Jan-17 07:42:09

I go away alone a lot mostly for business . It's great and I love it but I had to "get my eye in" a bit. I used to do room service or hotel restaurant with a book for dinner as I was embarrassed about being on my own. Then I got bored and started venturing out in the evenings and realised that no one gave a toss! I think it is the plus side of being a slightly invisible 40 something!

Now I get very adventurous and use all the spare hours I have in a place to explore and eat in random places and often ended up taking DS back to places I have been on business.

I wouldn't do I in the gulf states, even now I stick to the hotels there (except maybe Qatar and Oman) but other than that embrace and enjoy!

actiongirl1978 Thu 26-Jan-17 07:43:58

I did this loads before I met my husband. I tried Denmark, Italy x3, Paris and a week in Gran Canaria!. I never had any problems. I took a pile of books, drank wine in cafes (with a book) went to galleries, chatted to people, slept for 12 hrs a night. bliss. I did eat in my room sometimes with sanwiches etc but other times went to restaurants. Good luck!

TheNaze73 Thu 26-Jan-17 07:46:47

Never done it but, it sounds heavenly. Would love it

OutsSelf Thu 26-Jan-17 07:49:03

I took myself to New York for my 30th birthday, all alone. I loved it! I went sightseeing/running every morning, and took myself on explorations of different areas in the days, tried all the restaurants that I fancied from the guidebook, and had a couple of dinner and lunch dates (people were completely unshy about asking you out in the queue at the coffee shop, etc.). Totally recommend it, I particularly loved flying alone and not having to coordinate when to meet in the morning etc. so being able to do a leisurely breakfast or leave at crack of dawn on a whim.

EBearhug Thu 26-Jan-17 07:51:41

It's great. I usually have something particular I'm going to see, like a museum or art gallery, or Thermae when I last went to Bath. I've been round half the world on my own, but I've also just done weekends in the UK and Europe.

I have got into busy restaurants by myself when they couldn't fit in couples or more, so that's good, too.

Doing your own thing can be great.

Whathaveilost Thu 26-Jan-17 07:52:17

I do this a lot and it is marvellous!

I like my own company. I also go away with my husband, sometimes with the kids,sometimes with friends. When I go away by myself I tend to stick to Europe while some friends go long haul solo.
Sometimes I splash out and stay in nice hotels other times hostels ( always a private room)

I like discovering things, mooching around by myself. I often go to places where breakfast is included so that sets me up for the day. I don't always bother with an evening meal. In the evenings I often go to the cinema, theatre or find a big. Sometimes I get back to my room late and play about on my iPad.

I usually go away by myself for twice a year for a week at a time and fit in long weekends when I can.

I book flights and accomadation seperatly. For this year I have booked flights to Sweden, Belfast, Berlin and Slovakia by myself.
Me and my friends are going to Portugal and me DH and the boys are going to Canada for a month.

Just do it! You may be nervous the first time but you will get into the swing of it.

borntobequiet Thu 26-Jan-17 07:52:38

I do this a lot, four days is my limit though - after that I get bored with my own company. I do quite a lot of solo wakling but often meet interesting people and walk a while with them. Cafes and restaurants are fine if you have a book or a phone. As pp have said, it's great not having to consult anyone else, just do as you please.

borntobequiet Thu 26-Jan-17 07:54:11

walking...

1DAD2KIDS Thu 26-Jan-17 08:00:51

I travelled down to my mates wedding in Burgundy alone by train alone. Made a mini holiday of it. Made stop offs in Dijon on way out to the place and Paris on the way back. I am normally on the shy side but on the evenings I pushed my self to make conversation with people in the bars. Met some charitors and had a great time. In fact my night in Dijon I just popped out for dinner and a little drink and ended up drinking with some guys till the early hours. V. Hungover on my journey the next day. Also if laungue is a problems there is normally and Irish bar someone, your bound to find English speakers there.

DragonRojo Thu 26-Jan-17 08:02:16

I have done it many times, and I especially did it as soon as my ex and I split up. It didn't take the pain away but it gave me time to think and get stronger. The evenings were hard but I did a lot during the day so that I was exhausted by early evening. I went to Italy

MopedManiac Thu 26-Jan-17 08:35:01

I did this a few years back 2 nights in Paris. It was bliss! I went where I liked. Stopped if I felt like it. Had no-one nagging for food or the loo. I went on a walking tour. I was also a bit weirded out by eating out alone in the evening so went to a supermarket and got some yummy bits n pieces and had a hotel room bed picnic!

HelenDenver Thu 26-Jan-17 08:39:38

It's bloody brilliant.

I've been to various parts of Italy alone several times. Ate out most nights alone. Was lovely.

Paris where I stayed alone but met a local friend for dinner twice.

In fact, I might plan another trip soon.

HelenDenver Thu 26-Jan-17 08:40:04

NY on your own though, Outs. Jealous of that.

INeedNewShoes Thu 26-Jan-17 08:49:00

I did this in my twenties and really enjoyed it but felt slightly awkward in restaurants. Now, a decade later and I enjoy eating out on my own. I choose restaurants carefully. If you Google you can often find TripAdvisor reviews where people mention that a restaurant is a good place to eat alone.

donajimena Thu 26-Jan-17 08:57:04

I've done it. Barcelona for 4 days. I ended up helping a Spanish girl who couldn't speak English find her boarding gate (my Spanish was awful but her English was zero) we then chatted on the train from the airport to the city centre and we met up for a night out.
The other 3 days were spent doing all the tourist hotpots and in the evening (pre mobile phones) I just stayed in my room popping down to the bar for a g & t. I had a fine old time. smile
Four days was enough though.
Now I'm older I'd happily do a week.

donajimena Thu 26-Jan-17 08:58:37

I don't mind eating out alone normally but my hotel wasn't in the best district for being alone at night.

ocelot7 Thu 26-Jan-17 09:04:37

For me I've found it relatively easy to travel alone for work though evenings can be boring but more difficult for holidays. I once went camping in Dorset alone and although it was a small farm site the other people/families made it clear they thought it was odd! I also found it quite hard to be alone in a holiday area - I can see a city break would be better.

Forme2016 Thu 26-Jan-17 09:06:15

What a great thread Dineout, and perfect timing. I'm off to Rome tomorrow on my first ever solo trip (other than work within the uk) and I am so excited! It's great to read all the encouraging comments from others who have already done this, thank you

KanyesVest Thu 26-Jan-17 10:21:47

I'm going away for work next month and due to flights I will have 2 nights and 1.5 days in Italy by myself. I can't wait! <prays Italian colleague doesn't find out and offer to bdo any hosting>

sammylady37 Thu 26-Jan-17 13:12:34

I've done it a good bit, various parts of the country, Europe and even America. I tend to stay on the beaten track and don't go venturing off anywhere too isolated, as I'm conscious of safety. I love hearing off somewhere on my own. I usually end up having dinner early in the evening, around 6.30/7 so that I'm not around an unfamiliar area in the dark, I don't tend to go drinking on my own either so I'm usually back in the hotel room for around 8pm, in time for long bath with a glass of wine or two and a book. Would recommend!

Apple1976 Thu 26-Jan-17 16:54:08

I did it last year after finally separating from my husband. I flew to Spain for a few days and just laid on the beach.

Day 1 - I checked into the Airbnb appartment I'd booked and was asked several time by the owner of it was 'just me' as in the profile picture I had I was in a couple (helpful). That set me off and I cried for a few hours. Couldn't bring myself to eat out alone so went to a supermarket and got some wine, cheese and crackers. Pulled myself together after that.

From day 2 onwards I had a great time. Laid on the beach all day, went to restaurants for lunch (lots more people on their own at lunch I found than later) and in the evening just chilled at the apartment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now