Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Ghosting and NC, what's the difference?

(4 Posts)
sameoldsameoldthing Sat 21-Jan-17 10:59:05

If I have got this right, 'ghosting' when done to oneself is seen as a hurtful and possibly cowardly thing. But going NC when done by oneself is seen as an empowering thing.

What is the difference? Does it just depend on whether you are the one it is being done to or the one doing it?

pocketsaviour Sat 21-Jan-17 11:01:05

Ghosting is done while the relationship is still active. Going NC usually refers to cutting contact once the relationship has finished.

Notapodling Sat 21-Jan-17 11:03:54

I would say NC is for a longer closer relationship that isn't working despite repeated efforts because the other person isn't willing to make an effort. Because you've been trying, the person who's now NC would know why either because you've told them outright or if they have a minimum level of self awareness. Ghosting on the other hand is pretending everything is fine and going along with future plans then suddenly going NC probably because you're too cowardly to break it off properly.

Notapodling Sat 21-Jan-17 11:13:30

I guess the basic difference is reasonable understanding/knowledge of why it happened of the ghosted/NC party. If it comes out if the blue and they couldn't reasonably expect to see it coming, it's ghosting. If the reason is obvious (abusive, arguments, break up) or said outright it's NC.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now