Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

CPS won't prosecute my rape because..

(89 Posts)
ahundredacre Thu 19-Jan-17 13:42:02

I am not traumatised enough.

I have just got an email from my solicitor with the response from my victims right to review appeal. This was the key line. I haven't read the attached CPS letter yet because I'm on public transport trying not to cry. Apparently in text messages after the event I do not sound traumatised enough.

Allatseainthemidlands Thu 19-Jan-17 13:43:49

No advice- but flowers- how horrible for you. Huge sympathy for you and rage that you are having to go through this.

venusinscorpio Thu 19-Jan-17 13:45:59

That's awful and shit OP. It's not necessarily a personal judgement on you though, it's a reflection that they know how it would play to a rape-myth influenced jury. It's bollocks and I'm not trying to excuse it. I'm so sorry flowers

DreamingofItaly Thu 19-Jan-17 13:46:47

This is awful. How can you "sound traumatised" in a text message?? I think you need to get another opinion and pursue your case.

This is exactly the reason why so many rape survivors don't bother even trying to get justice. Be strong and continue.
flowers

DMnamechanger Thu 19-Jan-17 13:47:47

flowers venus has hit the nail on the head.

ahundredacre Thu 19-Jan-17 13:50:15

They are supposed to be making a decision based on a theoretical jury wholly unaffected by rape myths. That's their guideline. I feel so powerless. Maybe we should put out a memo to all women, that in the case of rape they need to put on a display of being traumatised instead of pretending to be fine and hold it all together. sad

ahundredacre Thu 19-Jan-17 13:51:15

(Thank you for the support)

ahundredacre Thu 19-Jan-17 13:52:25

Sorry I just reread and wondered if that came across as sarcastic - it wasn't I just forgot to say it before.

MrsBertBibby Thu 19-Jan-17 13:58:12

That is horrendous. And bitterly ironic, so soon after Jill Saward's death.

I am so sorry. Can you bear to seek a review? And to take it to your MP if they're any good?

UnbornMortificado Thu 19-Jan-17 14:01:34

That's fucking horrible.

I'm so sorry flowers

TheCuriousOwl Thu 19-Jan-17 14:06:31

Many many hugs. And tea and also wine if it helps.

They wouldn't prosecute mine because I might not have said no enough, that telling him to stop wasn't enough and I wasn't convincing enough that I said no.

They interviewed me in a freezing room, didn't offer me a drink, were patronising and mocking. And came to my house to tell me the above news.

I believe you. I'm sorry this happened to you.

venusinscorpio Thu 19-Jan-17 14:09:01

I don't think you came across as sarcastic at all. if you can take it further you may want to look at your options to do this, but I can fully understand if you don't want to. Only you can decide this.

user1475253854 Thu 19-Jan-17 14:09:32

FFS. I'm so sorry ahundredacre flowers

user1475253854 Thu 19-Jan-17 14:10:34

That's so horrible FuriousOwl flowers

togetherlikeglue Thu 19-Jan-17 14:13:13

I'm really shocked, and really sorry.

FranksBobot Thu 19-Jan-17 14:13:42

ahundredacre flowers that really is shocking. I'm so sorry I wish there was more I could say or do to help.

Fuckityhi Thu 19-Jan-17 14:15:19

That's fucking horrible. Is there anything you can do? Not that you should have to. Is it the final word? I just can't believe this shit can happen.

So sorry OP.

AyeAmarok Thu 19-Jan-17 14:18:48

Fucking outrageous.

I'm so sorry, OP. What a crappy country we live in sometimes.

How much longer is the system going to let rapists rape with no consequences?

It's a text message. That's often why people use texts, because it's easy to throw words down and mask how you're really feeling.

Starlight2345 Thu 19-Jan-17 14:19:08

flowers

I didn't realise there was a specific response to been raped which determined whether it was a crime or not ( that was sarcasm)

I would be furious if I was you.

Nabootique Thu 19-Jan-17 14:19:20

I never even reported mine, because I thought I'd be treated much like Owl was. No wonder so many go unreported. Even if they believe you they choose not to prosecute. It makes me sick. flowers for Owl and ahundredacre. It's a fucking outrage.

pudding21 Thu 19-Jan-17 14:21:06

OMG, speechless. Surely they prosecute on the legal definition of rape. Rape is rape. People deal with things in different ways. This is like something out the 18th Century. Big hugs, I am horrified.

M0stlyHet Thu 19-Jan-17 14:23:34

flowers for you, ahundredacre, and for owl.

It is so fucking shit. I remember a friend's rape being "no-crimed" back in the 1980s simply because they thought she wouldn't have the mental strength to stand up to cross examination - I really hoped we'd moved on from there some time in the last 30 odd years, but no.

BarbarianMum Thu 19-Jan-17 14:24:04

I am so sorry sad Can you bear to challenge this? Is it even possible?

Fuckityhi Thu 19-Jan-17 14:24:19

OP I'm wondering if the CPS will examine their position if they had a bit of publicity about this.

I don't accept that rape is okay as long as the victim is the stoic type. It stinks.

sad

FannyWisdom Thu 19-Jan-17 14:24:53

Sorry to hear this Hundredacre
The system is failing you, it isn't you or your reaction.

flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now