Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Money and online dating

(10 Posts)
Newbrummie Sun 15-Jan-17 16:53:15

I'm hoping this isn't common and I'm sure Mumsnetters would see through this but for the 2nd time I've been asked for a substantial amount of money from a man I met online - not involved with at all, met 9 months ago and he's just popped back up to let me know he's had a nervous breakdown hence the ghosting and could I give/lend him £3,000
Now I'm trying not to be unkind but obviously I'm not parting with any money, £3 nevermind £3,000 but dies this happen a lot ?

Zaphodsotherhead Sun 15-Jan-17 16:55:42

Had you ever met this man - ie, was it a proper profile of a real person or the OLD equivalent of the American army widower that crops up on Facebook perpetually? Not a real potential dating person, just someone trying to scam women?

Newbrummie Sun 15-Jan-17 16:57:31

One of them yes, the £3000 one I'd met and we went to the movies, drinks, dinner etc. He paid.
The other was quite an obvious scam but the 2nd I think is just bloody strange

RoundTheBend Sun 15-Jan-17 17:00:24

I have reported people like this before. I actually know one woman who had an online relationship with a man (said he was a doctor) for about 9 months. Rang her quite a few times, sent messages and flowers etc. Then asked her for £10,000 for some phoney reason or another. Quite broke her heart as she felt she was really in love with him even though they had never actually met in real life. Turns out he was using someone else's photo, made up all his life, told her what she wanted to hear etc.

Bananalanacake Sun 15-Jan-17 17:01:07

Just tell him you don't have any money to lend him, if he is genuine he will understand.

Newbrummie Sun 15-Jan-17 17:06:03

He wasn't a French othopedic surgeon was he Round ?
I instantly clocked that one when he claimed to be working with UNICEF on a contract that payment was sent until after the contract was completed. As bloody if.

Newbrummie Sun 15-Jan-17 17:07:43

Bananalanacake I'm with somebody else now so it's just not happening and I don't care what he thinks of me ... but it's not nice

Zaphodsotherhead Sun 15-Jan-17 17:12:36

Surely, if he were genuine, he would never have asked? There would have to be other people to borrow from (including the bank) before asking a random women you've only met a couple of times!

Bananalanacake Sun 15-Jan-17 18:37:18

Glad you've got a new man. I lap up these sorts of stories in 'Take a Break', fascinates me that women (and men) get suckered in. I often think about setting up a OLD account to taunt anyone who tries to scam me, (think it's called baiting) but my IT expert DP will find out and not be very happy.

Newbrummie Sun 15-Jan-17 18:42:17

It's a minefield... shame the police aren't more interested in it. Quite cleverly done, the French man started by asking for iTune cards. Small amounts ... I didn't have the money so it was a no from me but then predictably the request for airfare followed quite soon afterwards along with him
Being blocked. Can see how it happens though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now