Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Do birthdays get crappier as you get older? Or is it just mine?

(31 Posts)
DetentionGrrrl Fri 23-Feb-07 08:34:18

I think birthday really are crappier as you get older, aren't they?

As of yet i have had zero gifts. DP bought me a ticket for a gig in March, which looks like the only thing i've been bought.

Absolutely nothing so far from my parents, but i suppose they had to top last year when i went to visit them hoping to get spoiled (i was pregnant, and even sent my mother a text saying i wasn't too old for a cake) i had nothing but an empty card (they'd 'forgotten' to put any money in it or buy me anything, no cake, no nice dinner, bugger all)

I promised myself that after being so hurt last year, i'd expect nothing this year so i wouldn't be disappointed, but i have failed miserably.

fryalot Fri 23-Feb-07 08:36:43

sorry you're feeling sad on your birthday. I tell myself every year not to expect too much, then I get all excited, like a kid on xmas morning only to get up and find that nobody has bothered. Last year, I stormed off to the shops with the words "I'm going to buy myself a birthday present from you, you B***D"

anyway, HAPPY BIRTHDAY from me.

hockeypuck Fri 23-Feb-07 08:38:50

aaah detentiongrrl Happy Birthday!

After a few crappola birthdays, I've made it very clear to my dh that birthday = princess, so am dropping hints for June already.

Don't accept it, next year get him to book a day off work, then leave him with the kiddies while you surround yourself with people who will treat you like the princess you are.

DetentionGrrrl Fri 23-Feb-07 08:38:50

thankyou!

i secretly get excited too, and hope i'll have a lovely wrapped gift, or a surprise of some kind, however small. It's always shite though.

2sprogsmum Fri 23-Feb-07 08:38:58

It was my birthday yesterday, and mine was shitty too. I went on a bit of a shopping spree, felt very guilty but much happier afterwards.

2sprogsmum Fri 23-Feb-07 08:39:40

ooops, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

IntergalacticBrian Fri 23-Feb-07 08:41:02

Aw DG, my last few birthdays have been pretty poo, so I sympathise.

Happy birthday though. I hope your day gets better

DetentionGrrrl Fri 23-Feb-07 08:41:02

Happy Birthday for yesterday

I'm taking DS to nursery for a couple of hours this morning, and going to read a magazine and have a fry up in the cafe while i wait for him. It's a bit sad doing it as a billy-no-mates, but i suppose i'll have some peace.

FluffyMummy123 Fri 23-Feb-07 08:41:29

Message withdrawn

hockeypuck Fri 23-Feb-07 08:42:17

here detentiongrrl

DetentionGrrrl Fri 23-Feb-07 08:45:36

that made me smile hockeypuck! Thankyou!

Cod- he asked me what i wanted for my birthday, i said 'i thought that ticket was for my birthday?', he said 'oh yeah'. That was it. He stopped me going to the car last night to get something, and went himself, so i thought he'd bought me something, but he hasn't. He'd probably just left my card in the car i think.

runnyhabbit Fri 23-Feb-07 09:56:23

**Happy Birthday DG** xxxx

Yes they do get crappier as you get older (little consolation I know)

Mine is 2 weeks after Christmas, and I've lost count the number of times I've had to remind dh about it and he still forgets

tbh he's the only one that does forget though - my parents still make a little fuss, so does my sister and mil (although mil gifts are very bizarre which is another thread entirely)

Enjoy your breakfast!

(off to go and join the party....)

Cashncarry Fri 23-Feb-07 09:57:31

Oh dear - poor you DetentionGrrrl! Had a similar problem with crap DH, family etc. Cheered myself up the next day by buying myself a present and singing Happy Birthday to myself like some kind of nutter

Don't stand for it - make it clear to your DP that you expect "princess" treatment in ONE MONTH's time (a year is too long to wait!) and give him strict instructions as to what you need - bath drawn, candlelit dinner, whatever takes your fancy!

As for your parents, that would make me more sad tbh. Have they always been like this or did they make a fuss of you when you were younger?

edam Fri 23-Feb-07 09:58:09

Yes, they do.

anniemac Fri 23-Feb-07 10:24:26

Message withdrawn

Hayls Fri 23-Feb-07 10:31:10

Absolutely. It's my birthday tomorrow and my dh has gone off for a stag weekend leaving me on my own with dd until Sunday night (no family within 400 miles). Only reprieve is a visit to Noddy Live tomorrow- never thought I'd be spending my birthday doing that I've had a couple of cards through the post since Tuesday but I know who they're from by reading the writing so no surprise (and no parcels either ! My dad said last night that he doesn't send cards but he knew I wasn't expecting one anyway so it was ok

30today Fri 23-Feb-07 12:06:26

Hi I'm new here (1st time poster long time lurker) and I've definatly come to the conclusion that birthdays get cr@pier every year

Detentiongirl I'm sending lots of love and hugs and I hope the day gets better for you, I really do (especially as we share the same birthday)

I came on today to post as it is my 30th birthday today and its getting worse by the minute.

I had a mid life crisis panic last night at 11.45 thinking OMG I have 15mins left of being a 20 something and cried myself to sleep.
Got up this morning hoping that DH had brought me something nice, as when he asked me what I wanted I said suprise me.

Ohh he suprised me alright he brought me a new keyboard for my pc cos HE thought it was cool, cos HE liked the flashy lights. I think he could tell I wasn't best impressed and nope there wont be any suprises later from him as I wont see him tonight so that was it

Oh and my plans for a nice relaxing soak in the bath this morning got cut short (just as I was about to shave myself a nice brazilian) when playschool phoned to say one of my daughters was sick could I go and pick her up I guess that will teach me to make plans for myself.

hey ho thats how the cookie crumbles

Anyway happy birthday to anyone who's birthday it is

Hattiecat Fri 23-Feb-07 12:17:46

its my dh b'day today and we always make an effort cos i personally think that everyone is important on their birthday and should be made to feel that way - think its the one day of the year that really belongs to that person. we've bought him lots of little bits to open (my dd1 bought a tube of rainbow dust out of her own money, but secretly i KNOW she has got her eye on it we have a cake, bought him his favourite beer and am cooking him a nice tea and will generally try to make him feel special which he certainly is .

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to everyone else out there x

DetentionGrrrl Fri 23-Feb-07 13:26:14

cashncarry- they've mostly been useless. i don't believe they do it on purpose, but they are useless. have had a card now, which is something. no texts or calls though.

30today- that reminds me of in the Simpsons when Homer buys Marge a new bowling ball. Bless.

i'm meant to be going out for dinner tonight with DP and 3 close friends- i booked the table because after weeks of asking DP to do it (and i knew he hadn't) i knew there'd be a good chance we wouldn't get a table there.

God i hope today gets better. otherwise i'm banning anymore birthdays!

Cashncarry Fri 23-Feb-07 13:29:29

Oh well, if they've always been like that then sod 'em (in the nicest possible way)

Don't ban birthdays, just make sure you make a HUGE fuss of your DS (it is DS, isn't it?!) every birthday and when he's older he'll make a HUMUNGOUS fuss of you

Have a good time tonight - and don't forget to be more forthright about what you want next time!

bobsyouruncle Fri 23-Feb-07 13:39:38

I always make the mistake of getting excited about my birthday too...!? I think the secret is to make it special yourself as noone else will bother to make it special for you! So I've resolved to organise birthday treats for myself in future! 30today - happy birthday but you won't get much sympathy for your midlife crisis from me, 30 is a distant memory

Gee72 Fri 23-Feb-07 13:41:26

Happy Birthday DetentionGrrrl.

Oh and 30today, 30's are great. I feel much more confident and worry less about trivial stuff than I did in my 20's.

Tortington Fri 23-Feb-07 13:42:07

soory its your birthday and you feel shit - however i am of the opinion that once youhave children you forfeit presents from everyone except your dh/p and kids

lupo Fri 23-Feb-07 14:14:07

Dh always needs a nudge, and when I found out he wasnt organising anything particular fo my 30th and kept asking me what i wanted to do, i get stroppy with him (am not the high maintenance type but you are only 30 once)threw a bit of a hissy fit and he ended up booking a weekend in bruges and organisng for gps to have ds, so was very chuffed.

I know its not nice to have to drop hints etc, and not quite the same, but some men cant be bothered to do much if they think they can get away with it.. tbh he didnt even have to take me away, even a nice picnic in the park, nice food and something with a little thought would have made me just as happy

isaidno Fri 23-Feb-07 14:16:47

2 years ago my DS2 was born on my birthday - so now you can guess who gets all the birthday attention can't you?

happy birthday anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now