Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

One of my friends finished friendship over silly thing

(17 Posts)
Fmlgirl Thu 12-Jan-17 22:56:10

I have a bit of a problem that's on my mind a lot and I am surprised by how much it bothers me. Mind you, I did not rub it in, I just informed her that I would change roles and had found a better job.

My friend has been unhappy in her job for the longest time complaining about how she can't afford London life or save money. Her salary isn't terrible btw, she just lives in an expensive area.

I've recently secured a better position paying a good salary but it was no easy ride, I went to lots of interviews.

My friend didn't take to the news well saying how she has two degrees and can't secure a better role. She said it would be better if we stopped talking for now.

Now meanwhile my father died who had been ill for a long time and she probably would have heard this through the grapevine. I haven't had any condolences. She has also defriended me on social media.

Although she wasn't my closest friend, i haven't got that many friends and it hurts more than I thought it would.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

cheekyfunkymonkey Thu 12-Jan-17 22:59:12

No. She sounds like a shit friend.

Nickname1980 Thu 12-Jan-17 22:59:52

I'm so sorry about your father flowers

She doesn't sound like a friend worth keeping. When tough things happen in life, the cliche is true- you find out who your friends are.

Besides, friends are supposed to be excited for you when new jobs happen, not turn it into something about them and become jealous and bitter.

I hope you make some new, better friends in your new job.

holidaysaregreat Thu 12-Jan-17 23:01:30

Sounds like you are better off without her. A real friend would be pleased for you. She is most likely jealous which is ridiculous. It isn't your fault she has not fulfilled her potential.

Earlgreywithmilk Thu 12-Jan-17 23:02:13

Your 'friend' has revealed her true colours and u are better off without her op. Jealousy is a terrible thing. Don't contact her whatever u do, if she wants to get back in touch she owes u a big apology first.

GTS Thu 12-Jan-17 23:04:12

she's done you a favour. I know it's hurtful, but she's shown her true colours and ultimately that's a good thing.

Sorry about your dad. Take comfort from the friends you have who only have your best interests at heart x

Dontaskmegoogleit Thu 12-Jan-17 23:10:46

I'm so sorry about your dad. We expect people to understand our grieve but they don't.
She's no friend anyway. ..Because a real friend would have been happy for you in your successes and sad with you in times of stress.
Good riddance I say.
Take care x

SoleBizzz Thu 12-Jan-17 23:12:19

shock wow. That's harsh and petty reason. You ate better off without that sp called friend!

Longdistance Thu 12-Jan-17 23:16:40

I'd also like to point out, that she seems like the type of negative person who always looks at what others have. Rather than do something about it, she'd moan about it and send out negative vibes. Whilst she is like this, she will not get anywhere in her life.

You're better off without her.

So sorry about your father flowers

LauraAndBaby Thu 12-Jan-17 23:17:46

The same kind of thing happened with me and my bestfriend! Although she cut me off because she got a new boyfriend who didn't agree with our friendship. Anyway when she first cut me off and deleted me off all social media I was so upset.. Ofc i just lost my bestfriend, more like a sister to me. But as time went on (like a few weeks) I just stopped thinking about her. And now I don't care, I see it as - if someone can cut you out there life that easy then they were never a good friend in the first place!

Things will get easier, just stay busy and focused on life! Xx

Aquamarine1029 Fri 13-Jan-17 01:35:02

She's not your friend and never has been. Wall away and don't look back.

YouHadMeAtCake Fri 13-Jan-17 01:52:43

Like PP said, she's done you a huge favour, what a nasty , jealous woman! You wouldn't surely want her in your life after all that.

Cricrichan Fri 13-Jan-17 01:53:45

I'm so sorry for your loss.

She was never a friend. You getting a great paying job doesn't take anything away from her and any kind of friend would be delighted for you. Congratulations op.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Fri 13-Jan-17 02:28:46

What a spiteful, jealous, vindictive woman. I agree with everyone else saying you are far better off without her.

Congratulations on your new job! When do you start? Are you excited / a little nervous or apprehensive? How many people in your new office? Do you know what you are wearing on your first day? How will the commute be?

I'm asking because I'm interested, because I think you deserve to have someone excitedly asking questions about a big event in your life, and to show you how a friend should react to monumentous news like a new job.

And I'm very sorry about your DDad too flowers

gunnergirl Sat 14-Jan-17 23:52:19

that's not a friend

ThePinkOcelot Sat 14-Jan-17 23:56:06

That's ridiculous OP. What a selfish mare!! I think you're well rid tbh. A true friend would be happy for you.

FeralBeryl Sun 15-Jan-17 00:05:38

I'm really sorry about your Dad sad
I lost mine last year and it really shows you who does or doesn't have your best interests at heart.
Your 'friend' is a gobshite. It is good that she has gone.
She would have forever made you feel like you weren't to celebrate your achievements, you would play down anything nice that happened to you.
Congratulations on your new job, may you have a peaceful and prosperous year flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now