Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Notarised letter of parental consent for travel of minors

(10 Posts)
Mamaka Mon 09-Jan-17 14:03:25

Just wondering if anyone has experience of this - I'll soon be travelling internationally with my 2 dc, I've been told I need a notarised letter of consent from my dh to state that he knows we are travelling and has consented, and that he consents to our dc having medical treatment if necessary. Anyone know where I can get such a letter notarised?

jeaux90 Mon 09-Jan-17 14:47:22

You don't need it notarised I have just a letter from my dd's dad permitting me to travel. He hasn't seen her in 5 years but I still have to have one. There is a more formal agreement that you can get which allows you to travel for up to 4 weeks a year.

I assume you are in the uk though.

Girlwhowearsglasses Mon 09-Jan-17 14:50:34

There is a template letter suggested by MN on the site. I've used it but wasn't asked - I have a different surname to my DCs.

mylifeisamystery Mon 09-Jan-17 14:51:27

I've been to France twice with my kids and taken DD across Europe without any such permission? I did get asked how we were all related as we have different surnames but easily explained.

NarcsBegone Mon 09-Jan-17 14:55:40

I've been to France 3 times with ds and never been questioned. As far as I understand it you can travel abroad for a month without needing permission from the father or if the other way around the mother unless there is some sort of court order in place. Exh would probably never give permission simply because he wants to make life difficult so I would seek legal advice if it was needed.

Mamaka Mon 09-Jan-17 15:11:17

Thanks all - we are married so it's mainly because we are travelling to a place where they are on high alert for child trafficking and I was warned that we are likely to be questioned, especially as I am a different colour to my dc!

NarcsBegone Mon 09-Jan-17 15:16:05

If it's a country that's high alert then definitely wise to get something. I suppose the best place to find out would be a solicitor.

Mamaka Mon 09-Jan-17 15:17:50

If it doesn't need to be notarised that's great but surely I could have written the letter myself! I've seen a template letter with an option for the signature to be notarised or witnessed, maybe a witness would be enough?

Mamaka Mon 09-Jan-17 15:18:57

Thanks Narcs yes probably best to contact a solicitor.

smilingmind Mon 09-Jan-17 15:21:37

I recently had to get a document authorised by a notary public.
It cost around £100.
A notary public is a solicitor but not all solicitors are notary publics.
I looked online to find one in my area.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: