Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How do I know I've picked a good solicitor?

(12 Posts)
CarrieMayBe Sun 08-Jan-17 20:45:54

Recent split from husband, have appt with solicitor on weds. I picked this firm because they are one of the only ones in the area that offers a free initial hour so thought it would be worth just seeing what she is like.

The thing is, how do I know if she's a SHL?

Divorce is likely to be quite complicated due to him owning a company and not being particularly keen to share any of it. Also issues with our marital home. I need someone who knows what they're really doing with regards to financial settlement. No issues with children and contact etc.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Sun 08-Jan-17 20:48:15

This may not be much help, but I felt that my SHL was 'on my side'. She got the situation, and I felt she was well up for fighting my corner. And she was. Do you get good vibes OP?

Streuth Sun 08-Jan-17 21:13:09

Well, I'm quite distrustful on this sort of thing anyway.

I've never had to see a solicitor for a divorce - as never married - but if I did I would see more than one unless it was really a simple admin-type one. People always recommend a second opinion for doctors, and I think the same applies to solicitors.

If it was a complicated divorce I might even see three in the first instance. I'd ask the fee for an hour (maybe £200-£300?) for each, and go along and listen to their advice. Then make my choice based on gave the best advice and I trusted most! I might also ask them to give an idea of expected fees as a matter of interest.

Maybe thats completely barmy and overkill, but that is what I would do. This way, also, I would be able to pick up any nuances/differences of opinion.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Sun 08-Jan-17 21:14:16

You don't know until you have met them. I work with family lawyers.

Streuth If they can't give you a fee estimate that's shit anyway - they have to!

trollspoopglitter Sun 08-Jan-17 21:17:32

They don't give the free hour. None of the good ones around here do.

Streuth Sun 08-Jan-17 21:18:42

Actually I did have a divorce, sorry, many moons ago! A local high street solicitor. Passed onto a legal executive very quickly - maybe even first interview. I think they wanted some juicy story which i wasn't going to tell them. The solicitor wrote to me a few times, but could never spell my name right, even after me pointing it out. My calls weren't answered. I went elsewhere very soon. BUT it was a very simple administration-type one. I think I would have been alot more hacked off if it had involved money, children or serious emotional issues.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Sun 08-Jan-17 21:19:04

Yy re not offering free hour now

CarrieMayBe Sun 08-Jan-17 21:22:03

I'm seriously stuck financially, obviously will have to pay fees once ball is rolling but I was thinking I could find a few things out for free this way?

I know ex is going to be as difficult as possible with regards to financial settlement and I'm not going to give in easily I'm afraid. He had an affair and it was his choice to leave the marriage and our 4 children. I have no provision for my future, no pension etc. I need someone who will fight my corner.

Guess I'll just see what she is like on Wednesday and go from there?

Rainbowqueeen Mon 09-Jan-17 00:25:49

If you post in legal giving a rough idea of where in the country you are, people may be willing to PM you with recommendations.

I think streuths idea to see a few and work out who would suit you best is also a good one

Trifleorbust Mon 09-Jan-17 06:49:37

I was thinking I could find a few things out for free this way?

No offence, but as you're after something for nothing, you may not be in a position to be that choosy.

TreeTop7 Mon 09-Jan-17 12:23:16

I'd suggest posting on the Legal and Divorce/Separation topics with your general location. Recommendation is the way to go. There are family solicitors on those boards who may have come up against lawyers in your region who were impressive and efficient. Or maybe a divorcee who happens to live locally to you will recommend someone.

CarrieMayBe Mon 09-Jan-17 21:54:57

Thanks everyone, will post in Legal for a recommendation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now