Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Self Help

(7 Posts)
broodybrooder Sun 08-Jan-17 08:16:43

Not sure if I should be posting this here but I can't really find another board suitable and as I am on this one a lot, I thought lots of you might have a recommendation.

I'm looking for a really good book to read to help my motivation.

Last year was pretty rubbish - I'm self employed and issues with my ex and DD completely took over at times. I had a slow first quarter which knocked my confidence. I struggled to keep up with workload, couldn't focus half the time and then had to work round the clock the other half and tired myself out. My eating and exercise habits detreriorated. A LOT. Even my house wasn't as clean.

I really want to get back on track and find my motivation (I think I've found it but want to keep it). Part of trying to turn things round is making sure I take time for myself, which includes reading before bed.

I've never read a self help book before so I am a complete novice. I want something that is going to inspire me to look after myself and stay focussed when I need to.

Any recommendations....?

mereswinesaliva Sun 08-Jan-17 15:22:56

Hi there, OP.

I'm a big fan of the self-help classic "Feel the Fear & Do It Anyway".

From the website:

www.susanjeffers.com/home/detailtemplate.cfm?catID=2234

In this internationally acclaimed best-selling classic, Susan Jeffers inspires us with many dynamic techniques and profound concepts that have helped millions throughout the world grab hold of their fears and move forward with their lives. Inside 'Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway®' you'll learn what we are afraid of...and why and the five surprising truths about fear. You'll also learn how to let go of the victim mentality, the secret of making 'no lose' decisions, how to expand your 'comfort' zone, how to create more meaning in your life...and much more. With understanding and humor, Susan shows you how to become powerful in the face of your fears - and enjoy the elation of living a more creative, joyous, and loving life.

Table of Contents

What are you afraid of... and why?
Can't you make it go away?
From pain to Power
Whether you want it or not... it's yours
Pollyanna rides again
When 'they' don't want you to grow
How to make a no-lose decision
How whole is your whole life?
Just nod your head- say yes!
Choosing love and trust
Filling the inner void
There is plenty of time

Hope this helps!

OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Sun 08-Jan-17 15:46:32

Not a book but a really good resource I have found is called One of Many. Look it up on Facebook and check out the free overwhelm first aid kit. There are other free resources too I think. Others you have to pay for but I have found them really insightful for managing time and energy levels and making time for self care, etc.

broodybrooder Sun 08-Jan-17 16:18:24

Great, thanks for the tips, I am going to have a good look at both!

ICESTAR Tue 10-Jan-17 14:09:38

The happiness trap is an amazing book and is based on mindfulness. It was given by my counsellor for me to read so definitely recommend it. grin

ICESTAR Tue 10-Jan-17 14:10:37

Also a good app is called headspace for your phone. Ten free sessions and you can listen to them over and over again. 😊

rosabug Tue 10-Jan-17 20:48:57

This - doesn't seem appropriate at first glance - I've read loads and this is the one book that had a truly positive effect. I would say it's for anyone not those with chronic depression.

www.amazon.co.uk/Mindful-Way-through-Depression-Unhappiness-ebook/dp/B007T9FZRS/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1484081253&sr=1-1&keywords=chronic+depression

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now