Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Loss of sex drive

(9 Posts)
Gem90 Sat 07-Jan-17 09:34:55

I have been on 60mg fluoxetine(Prozac) for almost a year now.
I have noticed a masssive dip in my sex drive. I used to want sex every day but since having our 21 month old ds I feel fat and frumpy and hardly ever feel like sex.
My partner says I have been neglecting him and this makes me feel worse. Has anyone else felt like this and what did you do to make
Things better

SadTrombone Sat 07-Jan-17 10:47:30

How's you're mood OP? If you're still depressed that in itself will effect your sex drive- so difficult to tell if it's the fluoxetine or your low mood.
From your comments re feeling 'fat and frumpy' I assume you still have low mood - have you found the fluoxetine helpful at all ie are you better when you were before?

SadTrombone Sat 07-Jan-17 10:49:36

^either way I think a trip to the GP may be in order ' to discuss how well (or badly) the fluoxetine is working (there are alternatives - citalopram for example), and to discuss your low libido. GP may be able to help you understand what's causing this (depression or medication, or a combination)

SadTrombone Sat 07-Jan-17 10:58:45

Also (sorry for triple post!) do you still feel the same about your DP as you did before the birth of your child?
It doesn't sound like he is being terribly supported based on the snippet above (accusing you of neglecting him etc) x

Gem90 Sat 07-Jan-17 12:17:52

Thanks for he replies. I still love him loads and find him very attractive, but sometimes I feel like he goes out to work at 8,home usually by 4 and then that's his working day over.whereras I am still doing dishes, getting ds ready for bed, general tidying up between 7-10. Last night I made dinner, tidied up and put ds to bed (like most parents, I'm not looking for a medal)but dp was sleeping on the couch. Then when he woke and wanted sex I felt like he had had his chill time and now I just wanted to sit down and relax aswell!

Blossomdeary Sat 07-Jan-17 12:22:17

Getting things in balance again after giving birth is often not plain sailing and it needs time. It is, though, a pity that your OH is thinking of his own needs rather seeing the whole picture.

Chops2016 Sat 07-Jan-17 12:28:28

My DS is 5 months old and I started sertraline for PND about 2 months ago. You sound just like how I felt before antidepressants - feeling fat and frumpy, my libido was pretty much zilch. Partly because I was so embarrassed by my massive weight gain from pregnancy (gained over 3 stone), feeling less fit and exhaustion. My libido isnt completely back to normal yet but it's so much better, so I think for me it was mainly the depression. I would go to the GP and ask to try a different AD.

Your DH sounds very unsupportive. Your body has been through the mill having a baby and he should be supporting and reassuring you. Ironically, he's probably making your libido worse by contributing to you feeling guilty and depressed. Is he always like this?

SadTrombone Sat 07-Jan-17 18:36:35

Definitely think a trip to the GP is in order and perhaps asking you DP for more support. If you're doing housework / putting DC to bed etc. nonestop for 3 hours he is BVU to just lie on the couch (especially when he's apparently accusing you of 'neglecting' him! Obviously he's been working all day but so have you - houses and 21 month olds don't look after themselves!!

SadTrombone Sat 07-Jan-17 18:37:12

*nonstop
...also a close bracket. Damn phone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now