Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

This is odd, isn't it?

(15 Posts)
MrsSchadenfreude Fri 06-Jan-17 22:18:05

When I spoke to my mother last week (I called her, she never calls me), she told me that her cousin Esther had died. She was very, very upset about this. I am 50, I have never, ever met Esther (or her children), despite the fact that she only lived about 20 miles from my mother. She and my mother used to talk on the phone, without fail, every Friday. Yet despite the relatively short distance, they hadn't met up for at least 50 years.

This got me thinking. My mother has two other cousins, Christina, who lives in the next town, whom she also speaks to every week. She last saw Christina when I was 15 (I went with her). She won't go and visit her, although it is just a short train ride. But they speak every week. It would be easier for my Mum to visit Christina than vice versa, because Christina is disabled. I've offered to take my Mum to see her, but she always comes up with some excuse. They used to see a lot of each other when they were younger and Christina's daughter is the same age as me, but I've only met her a couple of times.

She also has a cousin who lives in Switzerland. Same thing. My mother has the means and ability to go and visit, and has never done so (she wouldn't go without my father, he didn't want to go, said she should go on her own). She last saw Joan over 30 years ago - Joan doesn't visit UK any more because her parents and brother are dead and sees no point. Joan still would love my mother to visit her, but she won't, but they still speak on the phone every week.

She has one brother left of her siblings, hasn't seen him for three years, yet he lives about half an hour away on the train. He has a holiday home, and drives virtually past the end of her road to get there. He never calls in. They speak on the phone several times a week, yet seemingly have no urge to see each other.

This is weird, isn't it?

ThePinkOcelot Fri 06-Jan-17 22:21:40

Yes, well it is to us, but for some reason, not to them.
Actually when I think about it, my mum was the same with her siblings.

Hassled Fri 06-Jan-17 22:26:22

I'm trying to think of plausible explanations but there aren't any. You're right - it's really odd.

EssentialHummus Fri 06-Jan-17 22:31:46

Very odd. Does she definitely like these people?

MrsSchadenfreude Fri 06-Jan-17 22:33:27

I was wondering if it was a generational thing, but her brother is closer in age to me than her (he's 10 years older than me and 20 years younger than her). And I see him quite often!

MrsSchadenfreude Fri 06-Jan-17 22:35:47

Hummus - yes, I think so! She was always on the phone to Esther for at least an hour, often two.

Diamondjoan Fri 06-Jan-17 22:36:19

It's not that weird. My mum, and my dad for that matter, have friends who they spend hours talking to by phone but have no need to meet up in person with. Some people have more open conversations by phone than in person.
My mother speaks with her twin twice a week for about 2 hours yet they only meet every 5 years or so. When they do meet and are saying goodbye again, probably for another 5 years, it's a casual "give you a call Sunday". Some people don't need to meet in person.

LellyMcKelly Fri 06-Jan-17 22:42:26

It's probably a bit like Facebook for older people. I chat all the time to maybe half a dozen people frequently on Facebook. We laugh at each other's posts, tease and make jokes, yet I have no desire to see them, even when I'm in the same town. I dont think it's that strange. It's lovely that they still keep in contact after all this time.

Skang Sat 07-Jan-17 08:57:10

Are you sure they actually exist?

Freeatlast2017 Sat 07-Jan-17 09:13:32

Weekly phone calls are normal for the older generation. My mother still talks for ages on the phone with some of her friends, just like she did in the '70s confused. My dad (aged 80) is more with it and uses Facebook. They also catch up with people at the weddings and funerals over the years. Maybe that's enough.

Cosmicglitterpug Sat 07-Jan-17 09:17:24

I think it's odd, but not unusual. My dad is like this with his three siblings. He rarely visited them (and they never visited us), but they would speak on the phone. I think he didn't want to go alone and my mother didn't want to go. My parents are socially awkward introverts though. They never used to have friends over to dinner. Not once in my entire life.

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 07-Jan-17 09:23:06

Maybe a generational thing then. They all definitely exist!

TheUpsideDown Sat 07-Jan-17 09:31:53

My nan and her many siblings/cousins were like this too. The thing is, she didn't really like any of them and didn't want to mix with them, but she was nosey and enjoyed gossip (I truly love my dear nan, god rest her soul - but she really was a nosey bugger and prolific gossiper!). She hated not knowing everything about everybody in the family, and then loved gossiping about it all to all the other family members she didn't ever visit.

I found it very odd too

redexpat Sat 07-Jan-17 09:34:15

My parents have never spent time with their siblings as adults. So it doesnt strike me as odd.

RussianCoffee Sat 07-Jan-17 09:42:45

It does seem a bit weird to me but I guess the main point is that she has maintained a strong relationship with them, however they communicate. So many people just become totally cut off from family and friends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now