Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

DP Bad Hygiene

(11 Posts)
inutero Wed 21-Feb-07 14:29:51

I'm getting a little irritated by my DP's lack of personal hygiene. He went 3 days without a bath or shower last week and has stopped brushing his teeth before bed unless he eats something smelly (garlic for example) late on.
Last week I put hair gel on his toothbrush for a laugh and 3 days went past before he even noticed I'd done it.

Is this normal? am I expecting too much or is this ok?

clairemow Wed 21-Feb-07 14:36:19

eugh! No, I'd be saying something - if nothing else his teeth'll suffer from not being cleaned - does he want them to fall out early?

I'd be tempted not to let him in my (oops, sorry, our!) bed til he'd washed either!!

ginnedupmummy Wed 21-Feb-07 14:36:21

Message withdrawn

clairemow Wed 21-Feb-07 14:36:50

or take him swimming!!!

inutero Wed 21-Feb-07 14:39:00

His teeth are already quite bad, one of his front ones was broken a few years back and he's never bothered to get it fix as he says it's too expensive but it makes a big difference to his appearance and I hate it (that sounds so shallow! )

inutero Wed 21-Feb-07 14:41:42

It's not entirely new, I mean he seemed to try a little harder when we first met but it's gone downhill more and more since...I find it quite disrespectful really

Whoooosh Wed 21-Feb-07 14:41:56

Yeuch-you poor thing.

Please don't take him swimming-would be most unfair on the other bathers

If it were me I just would not be able to hold back-I would be treating him like dd and forcing him to wash/brush his teeth.

DetentionGrrrl Wed 21-Feb-07 14:54:55

my DP brushes his teeth once a day, and showers maybe once a week. He doesn't smell though Always looks and smells pretty great- well, usually.

ginnedupmummy Wed 21-Feb-07 16:04:09

Message withdrawn

Rocklover Wed 21-Feb-07 16:18:12

God I soooo know how you feel, you could have been me!!!!!! I split up with my husband for reasons other than his personal hygiene. However, he could (still does) go days without brushing his teeth (which turned me into a horrible nag), this drove me crazy as he had bad breath and bits stuck in his teeth. On top of that he wouldn't go to the dentist as he had a phobia, also he rarely cleans DDs teeth when she stays with him...grrrrr!

He wants us to get back together, which I don't want, call me shallow (although I am not) his teeth are one of the reasons that I will not go back to him. His teeth are always unclean when he comes to visit DD and its something I just cannot stomach, I clean my teeth twice a day every day...my man has to match that!!!

Whoooosh Wed 21-Feb-07 16:21:10

Once a week DG????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now