Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Warning about posting in the Relationships Topic on Mumsnet

(371 Posts)
bibbitybobbityyhat Wed 04-Jan-17 16:33:47

Don't do it if you don't want your personal stories lifted and splashed all over the Mail Online.

The DM used to restrict themselves to copying and pasting mainly made up (Penis Beaker), lighthearted or neutral threads.

But now they are quite happy to publish deeply personal and very identifying threads too from people posting at crisis point.

I do actually foresee Mumsnet's inability to prevent this being the end of the website tbh. Or MN as we know and love it, anyway.

I know we've had a zillion threads about this already, but I just want to remind people again:

Don't post on Mumsnet if you don't want your thread to be reproduced in the Mail Online.

SortAllTheThings Wed 04-Jan-17 16:34:56

Oh god, another one? sad

Which one was it, out of interest?

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Wed 04-Jan-17 16:37:40

I think you're absolutely right bibbety. And I agree that it will make posters more cautious. Very sad.

wizzywig Wed 04-Jan-17 16:38:47

Oh crap. Dont they have to ask permission first?

SortAllTheThings Wed 04-Jan-17 16:39:12

This is really putting me off posting actually. There's something I could do with some advice on, but can't risk it.

I've just remembered the media bit
www.mumsnet.com/media

bibbitybobbityyhat Wed 04-Jan-17 16:45:05

They don't wizzy, and it has been long established that they don't.

However, there are many thousands of posters here who apparently still don't realise this.

I just want to make people aware. Then, if they have no objection to the Mail lifting it, they can carry on if they choose to do so.

I withdrew a long thread recently because someone kindly reminded me that it was perfect Mail Online fodder.

WriterNeedsHelp2017 Wed 04-Jan-17 16:51:01

That was an interesting link - I hadn't seen that before. One thing that gets me is that they'll actually quote MNHQ's post as they pull a thread to "take a look at it" - so basically they know it's likely to be a made up thread, but still print it, deletion message and all.

WellErrr Wed 04-Jan-17 16:59:53

I do actually foresee Mumsnet's inability to prevent this being the end of the website tbh. Or MN as we know and love it, anyway

I think this too.

They don't seem bothered at all. But why would they be? Think of the advertising revenue.

It's certainly put me off posting anything other than light hearted stuff.

CockacidalManiac Wed 04-Jan-17 17:08:37

Which one was it, out of interest?

The one where the husband fell for his assistant, and told the OP on NYE

SilkThreads Wed 04-Jan-17 17:11:42

OH, that's horrible.

I have been 'recognised' in the past on MN and it was really difficult.

but all over the papers would be worse.

Vile sad

perhaps we should all change our usernames to:

DailyMailFail/stinks/rubbishjournos or something?

Peanutbutterrules Wed 04-Jan-17 17:12:26

Its particularly vile when it's about relationship breakups where the OP is clearly vulnerable.

Simonneilsbeard Wed 04-Jan-17 17:12:54

This is horrible.
Using people's heartache to generate clicks on their posts. Iv seen them on Facebook but I tend not to read them.
It's shitty, kind of immoral and just lazy journalism.

fallenempires Wed 04-Jan-17 17:14:21

That's disgusting and journalism at its' lowest.I feel desperately sorry for the OP,talk about kicking someone when they're down.sad

CockacidalManiac Wed 04-Jan-17 17:14:33

Perhaps MNHQ need to add this warning to the one at the top of all Relationships posts

CockacidalManiac Wed 04-Jan-17 17:16:38

And there's a similar post on AIBU or CHAT where there's a lot of 'what do you expect?' Victim blaming going on.

LumelaMme Wed 04-Jan-17 17:19:29

It's shitty, kind of immoral and just lazy journalism.
It IS immoral. They're making money out of someone's pain. Bloody horrible. I hope they feel ashamed of themselves, but I doubt it, somehow.

AliceThrewTheFookingGlass Wed 04-Jan-17 17:20:54

Yes it's gotten a lot worse in the past 6 months or so hasn't it? I rarely post a thread anyway but it's put me off even contributing to some threads just in case it's lifted.

bibbitybobbityyhat Wed 04-Jan-17 17:22:56

I'm getting a bit tired of that eye-rolly "what did you expect" response tbh.

People are clearly still not aware. And those who are probably still feel that the Mail wouldn't be so repulsive as to publish deeply personal and serious threads. But they do. And posters who come to Mumsnet for advice and support need to know. And I'd bet most would choose not to post if they knew their innermost thoughts and feelings would be published online in a controversial national newspaper. Which is why I believe MN will just quietly die.

Fallonjamie Wed 04-Jan-17 17:23:41

I don't think this will result in the end of MN. I think it brings more people to the site.

WellErrr Wed 04-Jan-17 17:26:59

It will be the end of Mumsnet as it was. Which is a crying shame.

bibbitybobbityyhat Wed 04-Jan-17 17:28:21

Yes, it does bring more people to the site, but it will be a site where nothing meaningful or personal can be discussed. Which means it will all be a pile of fluffy nothingness which is surely unsustainable in the long term?

CockacidalManiac Wed 04-Jan-17 17:29:21

I think it brings more people to the site.

Especially trolls

Peanutbutterrules Wed 04-Jan-17 17:29:38

I suspect it will be an ebb and flow thing. Initially more visits to the site from the Daily Mail, then less and less genuine content in the relationships boards. Other boards will be okay but if enough people get burnt by the Daily Mail, over time, it will affect peoples willingness to post

LineyReborn Wed 04-Jan-17 17:36:09

So what's to stop the Daily Mail going on to, say, Plenty of Fish or Match and pulling profiles and publishing them?

Copyright infringement I'd imagine.

But MN doesn't apply the same rights to its content? Why not? I think I'd really like an answer to this.

bibbitybobbityyhat Wed 04-Jan-17 17:38:26

Interesting question Liney.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now