Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How to not feel so bitter and resentful?

(3 Posts)
cheesecadet Mon 02-Jan-17 15:02:21

It's eating me up inside. I feel that I shouldn't I have to bring it up with family that don't bother to travel to see me, yet they'll go to other members of the family. I go to them, but can't be bothered now.

Come out with excuses, which then contradict what they say when they go to others to visit.

I definitely don't let it show when I see them elsewhere and I enjoy myself, whilst being friendly and fun around their children.

It gets me down as they definitely don't seem as enthusiastic to see me and my children.

We're talking, in one case-two years, in another-one year, and in another-10 months.

How do I develop a tough skin and let it go over my head?

Thanks.

pallasathena Mon 02-Jan-17 16:08:48

They're probably jealous, envious, want to hurt you, need to be the centre of attention and don't like competition from anyone fun/interesting/better off than them/better looking than them.
The list is endless when you have a relative like that but I promise you it isn't you. It is very much them.
You see, if you don't give them what they want (narcissistic supply) you're off the Christmas card list effectively.
I'd make the most of it while you can.

cheesecadet Mon 02-Jan-17 20:25:23

Thanks for your reply. I can't see it being anything you mentioned, it just baffles me. Can't get my head around it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now