Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Make me smile... things people say to you during a breakup

(51 Posts)
Anotherbrokenheart Mon 02-Jan-17 11:25:02

So I'm 4 days into my partner telling me it was over. We lived together, built our lives together and I thought we would get married. Now I'm back at my parents figuring out how the hell I got here.

But anyway I need to smile so wondered what other people have been told after a breakup.

Some of my favourite so far have been

Oh you were way out of this league (thanks and he still doesn't want me!)

Things happen for a reason. Well no probably not but thanks.

What else have people had?

Sparkesx Mon 02-Jan-17 11:27:39

"Well, I always thought he must be a decent shag because I couldn't fathom why else you would be with that fat fucking loser" grin

Ldnmum2015 Mon 02-Jan-17 11:28:21

As one door closes another one opens...... Not in my case, took me years to get back on my feet again!

TheNaze73 Mon 02-Jan-17 11:48:46

To get over someone, get under someone

jeaux90 Mon 02-Jan-17 11:49:56

"Bullet dodged" (this is so true)

The other one was from a mate of the ex

"He talked about you like you were a boring librarian, but you're actually really good fun" confused

SparklyMagpie Mon 02-Jan-17 11:50:28

When my ex got with someone else

" well he's certainly downgraded "

I know what they were trying to say but then that always made it worse grin

jeaux90 Mon 02-Jan-17 11:51:24

Thenaze grin

RedMapleLeaf Mon 02-Jan-17 11:54:07

My favourite was, "cheer up, you shouldn't need a man to be happy" which I felt was clever in how it was missing the point in so many ways.

Twolittlejobbys Mon 02-Jan-17 11:57:19

After 15 years together a Facebook message saying I'm a great person and I really hope we can still be friends! Haha he's seen the kids once in 18 months and doesn't pay a penny in maintenance which makes it even funnier! Wish I'd realised what an arse hole he was years ago! flowers to you though. The first few weeks are the hardest

TreeTop7 Mon 02-Jan-17 12:05:30

A colleague split from her husband having lived separate lives for a few years. One of her team members said, "oh, I thought you'd broken up ages ago."

Anotherbrokenheart Mon 02-Jan-17 13:45:00

Oh and I've had some sleazy messages off some guys too!

Thanks but no thanks!

RedMapleLeaf Mon 02-Jan-17 14:04:52

I found that sleazy men honed right in on me at my most vulnerable. Complete strangers just chancing their arm shudder.

Anotherbrokenheart Mon 02-Jan-17 15:34:46

Glad it's not just me red.

Men who I haven't spoken to in years messaging me on Fb telling me they were there for me. One wanted me to go to his for new year hmm

Justfred Mon 02-Jan-17 15:47:35

My friend called my ex a 'cock juggling thundercunt' which made me laugh.

TorchesTorches Mon 02-Jan-17 17:28:39

My friend and i always say 'I never liked him anyway' after each breakup! It always makes us laugh, as it's the thing nobody dares say!

KeepCoolCalmAndCollected Mon 02-Jan-17 18:15:40

A gem from my DM: "don't worry there are plenty more fish in the sea."
Not at all comforting or helpful at the time, but so true!

iklboo Mon 02-Jan-17 18:17:50

Mum to a teenage me when I was dumped by boyfriend 'Never mind. I'll go and watch Rambo with you instead'. Like it was me that had wanted to go & see the bleeding thing in the first place.

zeezeek Mon 02-Jan-17 18:37:04

Not quite the same situation, but I had male friends propositioning me too when my fiance died! Skanky men just after a shag.

Anotherbrokenheart Mon 02-Jan-17 19:45:19

Zee omg!! That is so bad.

LadyTrevelyan Mon 02-Jan-17 19:53:40

Not long after xh left DS looked at me and said "At least we don't have to watch the cricket anymore"smile

HardcoreLadyType Mon 02-Jan-17 20:00:59

"don't worry there are plenty more fish in the sea."

Useful advice, if you fancy having sex with fish...

Sassypants82 Mon 02-Jan-17 20:07:22

My, usually really caring DM, upon seeing me in tears at her kitchen table about a week after I'd moved home after breaking up with my boyfriend of 2.5yrs & moving out of our apartment - 'oh what's wrong with you now?!'

Incidentally, that boyfriend is now my DH of 4 years.. I KNEW it was wrong!

Anotherbrokenheart Mon 02-Jan-17 20:34:13

Ha sassypants. That is my parents.

They are lovely and amazing and I'm so greatful but I can tell 4 days in they would like less tears.

I picked up all my toiletries he had packed into a box and my mum suggested we went through all to see what I want to keep. No thank, I want to lie in bed!!!

Sassypants82 Tue 03-Jan-17 20:07:24

Yes.. Unfortunately the sympathy is not limitless sad
Heartbreak is or like grief, people forget that I think.
Hope you're OK. All you can try to do is keep busy & give yourself time.

BlueFolly Tue 03-Jan-17 20:37:24

I'm loving that Rambo one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now