Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Can I get past wanting another dc?

(2 Posts)
honeyJD Fri 30-Dec-16 21:12:28

I am 30 and have a 12 year old DS from previous relationship. I've always been sure I've wanted more than one child, and when I met my partner he was sure he wanted more too. However he already has three, and they're all older than my DS. Over the last year he's been making noises that he doesn't want anymore dc as he's liking the freedom of having older kids (he is also quite a bit older than me). I thought he might change his mind back, but no.
I don't know what to do sad sometimes I think that yes it's great the kids are all older now and self-maintain almost giving us freedom and time, peace and quiet and I could pursue other goals. However part of me is still really longing for another baby. But because I already have one lovely DS, is it something I could get past? It's not like I don't have any children and am missing out on the whole experience.

Cricrichan Sat 31-Dec-16 09:38:06

There is no right or wrong answer. I can see how your dh would feel he's spent a large part of his life raising kids so now doesn't want to start all over again and I can see how you're still very young so would like more kids.

Both options are great, only you can decide which is best for you. Do you work, is it easy to juggle your work with childcare? As you have an older child living with you, you'd be able to use him to babysit so would actually have more freedom than when you just had one etc.

I have 4 kids myself and was older than you when I had my first. I think they're amazing and so happy that I have them. Ive been a sahm throughout most of their lives but worked full time when I just had the one. I'm now going back to work and I don't think it's going to be too bad juggling things. My eldest can babysit so if I need to nip anywhere I don't have to take all 4 with me.

Hope you make a decision that you're happy with op.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now