Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

we intend to offer you a job but...

(29 Posts)
Lollysuns Fri 30-Dec-16 15:09:58

'We are waiting for paperwork and budgets to be finalised and singled off before we can formally make you the offer'

Reason they gave for delay was the Christmas break.

I really want this job and I know patience is key here, but what do people think? Formality or are they unsure?

Lweji Fri 30-Dec-16 15:12:19

Could be formality.
Aren't most jobs offered informally by phone and then paperwork sent?

(This might not be the best forum, though. wink)

Lollysuns Fri 30-Dec-16 15:13:35

Maybe. It just seemed odd that they said it wasn't an offer because they had to check things first... why even tell me if there's still budgets to check?!

Sorry... I know it's not a relationship topic...

RandomMess Fri 30-Dec-16 15:15:50

They could have a recruitment freeze so really don't know whether they are allowed to offer you the job?

Has certainly happened where I work!

KirstyJC Fri 30-Dec-16 15:16:12

I would take it that they mean it and definitely want you - I have heard this before (NHS) and it can take a ridiculous amount of time to get sign off for things.

However, I would be a little concerned that they have interviewed before the paperwork and budgets are finialised - that makes it sound like it might not be a definite job anyway, or that the details may change (eg different hours etc)?

But they are probably pretty sure it will be going ahead as recruitment takes a lot of their time and they wouldn't want to waste it.

Fingers crossed!

AmeliaJack Fri 30-Dec-16 15:18:18

Not uncommon in my experience. They'll hire you if they can get the money.

Don't give notice at your current job until you have the offer in writing though.

Lweji Fri 30-Dec-16 15:20:08

The budget check could relate to how much or how long they will offer (depending on what it is).

Secretspillernamechange Fri 30-Dec-16 15:22:08

Sorry this isn't good news but I've had a similar thing - after 3 interviews I was made a verbal offer of a job and told they'd put together the formal offer. They then went silent for a month "looking at budgets" and eventually came back and said that they weren't able to make me an offer.

I was furious, it was a well-respected professional firm and they completely wasted my time angry.

I hope you have a better outcome.

Laska5772 Fri 30-Dec-16 15:23:04

MHs have said this to my son also (interview was a couple of weeks ago) they said it may take a up to 3 months!! .. Is this how the NHS works then?

Laska5772 Fri 30-Dec-16 15:23:18

NHS that is..

Lollysuns Fri 30-Dec-16 15:23:59

Thanks for all the replies!

The person who interviewed me (I went through a recruitment agency), acrually emailed me directly to say they intend to make the offer but essentially need to get a sign off. I thought well why did you interview me if you hadn't already checked that! They've said they have been silent because it's Christmas and they will be in touch asap...

Marmalade85 Fri 30-Dec-16 15:26:09

How senior is it? They might have someone already going the job who hasn't been sacked yet.

LIZS Fri 30-Dec-16 15:27:54

Things can change between recruitment and job offer. If redundancies are being made that may bring others into the process or affect budgets. It may even depend on external funding or specific projects going ahead.

AmeliaJack Fri 30-Dec-16 15:28:41

Lolly they might have an agreement in principle to hire someone but then need a specific sign off on you and your salary.

Somewhere a manager is spending their Christmas hols reviewing your CV and interview report. grin

Lollysuns Fri 30-Dec-16 15:31:10

I just wish they hasn't contacted me at all if they weren't sure! I would have just waited in that case instead and then thought oh well I must not have got it.

Hate the waiting, I can't deal with it any longer! Haha

flumpybear Fri 30-Dec-16 15:32:25

This sounds ok - in our place of work HR have to formally offer all jobs, however high up, and negotiate the salary too, often with either the interviewer if they feel they're 'worth' higher up the scale, or with the j interviewee if they try to haggle a higher salary - makes it less personal when you start the job if it goes through HR to be honest

flumpybear Fri 30-Dec-16 15:34:14

It may be that they really want you hence phoning it it needs to go through 'due process' - good luck!! Fwiw if they weren't bothered they'd have left you waiting 😉

Lollysuns Fri 30-Dec-16 15:35:29

Flumpy do you think this is just a formality they are waiting on then? I did find it strange the interviewer contacted me as she could have just said something general like they would be in touch in a couple of weeks...finding it all so stressful as I really despise my current job.

RichardBucket Fri 30-Dec-16 15:36:32

In my experience this is pretty normal. Sometimes it's not good (I worked for a company that constantly advertised jobs, held interviews, and then one of the partners would say they couldn't recruit after all) but sometimes it's just red tape.

I don't think you can do anything but wait and DON'T hand your notice in until you have it in writing.

toptomatoes Fri 30-Dec-16 15:38:59

My current employer contacted me to say they were going to offer me the job but would be in touch with regards to details - it took a few more days before we discussed salary, working hours etc then a little longer still before the contract arrived for me to sign.

Shenanagins Fri 30-Dec-16 15:43:42

I'm working behind the scenes on the same scenario. We were debating the offer package value, basically how much we could get the business to sign off on. Sometimes this can take some time especially if we want to pay at the top of the range and at this time of the year people are off so it can take longer.

Lollysuns Fri 30-Dec-16 15:57:00

Ok so it's hopefully good if they're genuinely looking to recruit?

But the bottom line is I need to find some patience....

Charlesroi Fri 30-Dec-16 16:00:15

I've had this and on every occasion they were time wasters (a couple of times I suspect I was the 'banker' in case the first choice turned it down/was too expensive). YMMV but I'd keep looking if I were you.
Best of luck.

LostAtSea2 Fri 30-Dec-16 16:00:41

I am recruiting currently and can understand this situation though they might have been better to wait.

Basically for me I a getting my budgets approved for 2017/18 (April to April) for all the work I want to do. If approved this will include recruiting new people. Sometimes it can be a painful exercise as it goes around the houses negotiating and getting approval.

I've chose to wait until I knew it was a done deal before advertising. I gained this the week before xmas. Many times others don't as they need these new people to start as soon as they get the money and sometimes that approval can be really last minute.

In your case I a guessing they are very confident of this approval coming through but unfortunately they will be banned from any job offers until it is completed fully

I wouldn't worry though

PidgeyfinderGeneral Fri 30-Dec-16 16:00:42

I would say it was because key people they need to sign stuff off are out over Christmas.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: