Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

DM Split with long term partner - how do I tell children?

(4 Posts)
BikeRunSki Thu 29-Dec-16 18:22:54

DDad died 23 yrs ago and DM has been with her "new" partner for 15 years. My DC are 8 and 5, and he's the only other grandad they've ever known. DM lives 200 miles away, so we don't see her and her partner that often, but the dc love him like a grandad, particularly DD who adores him.

For a number of very good reasons they are splitting up (this is a whole other story). It is likely, because of the distance, that we won't see him again. What don't tell the dc when they ask after him, want to ring him, notice he's not there at half term?

Ilovecaindingle Thu 29-Dec-16 18:24:21

Maybe speak to him and ask him if he would be interested in being pen pals with the kids?

gettingtherequickly Thu 29-Dec-16 18:29:10

This sounds harsh, but at that age they'll forget fairly quickly, which might be for the best if the split isn't amicable (and they rarely are).

BikeRunSki Thu 29-Dec-16 18:30:46

I don't think I'll be speaking to Jim ILove, but it's s nice idea.

I hope that is the case gettingthere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now