Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

mum buying boxers

(36 Posts)
bananasmoothie Tue 20-Feb-07 13:08:50

I found this a bit wierd...

DP told me at the weekend that his new boxer shorts were horrible, too big and old fashioned etc, I said "well why did you buy them then??" and he replied "I didn't, my mum bought me them".

He still lives at home with his parents so maybe this is why she's still buying him underclothes but does anyone else find it wierd that a 26 year old man has his underwear bought by his mum??

wartywarthog Tue 20-Feb-07 13:10:04

yes

beckybrastraps Tue 20-Feb-07 13:11:14

He still lives at home with his parents...

QueenEagle Tue 20-Feb-07 13:11:54

Weird.

Don't marry him fgs, it will all end in tears.

Freckle Tue 20-Feb-07 13:12:08

No. When I met dh, he was 32. Virtually all his clothes were bought for him by his mum, his sister and his gran. He absolutely hated (and still does) shopping for clothes and it was easy for them to buy him stuff for birthdays and Christmas. And he didn't live with any of them.

I buy all his clothes now.

tissy Tue 20-Feb-07 13:14:08

yes, deffo, weird, but having said that, if I left dh to buy his own clothes....well he'd either not bother, or worse, buy something ghastly.

Take him shopping (his money) and give him your opinion on what he should buy, but make him choose for himself!

TeeCee Tue 20-Feb-07 13:16:23

So what. I'm 35 and at Xmas and birthdays my mum often buys me nice bra and knickers sets as part of my presents.

If he lives at home his mum may well still do a lot of his washing and stuff and therefore would know he could do with some new boxers. If his mum was out shopping and saw a pack of boxers why shouldn't she buy them for her son?

I'd only worry if she wanted him to model them for her or they were logoed 'big boy' or something!

bananasmoothie Tue 20-Feb-07 13:17:33

PMSL Teecee!

QueenEagle Tue 20-Feb-07 13:18:26

I buy boxers for my sons but they are 13 and 11. And I only buy what they have pointed out so they are effectively buying their own.

It is truly sad that a 26 year old MAN cannot buy his own underwear - speaks volumes and I honestly believe this attitude will spill over into other areas of his life which in time will become intolerable to you.

pesme Tue 20-Feb-07 13:19:20

mil has only recently stopped buying dh his pants. she occasionly buys him other oddities in teh same size as her dh who is 4 sizes bigger much to our amusement. she also buys me stuff in insultingly huge sizes. its no big deal. i wish she still bought his pants they cost alot!

MascaraOHara Tue 20-Feb-07 13:20:57

who guessed I'd turn up here???

dp still lives with his folks, he's 30.. his mum buys him underwear and <cringe> sometimes t-shirts too...

IntergalacticDave Tue 20-Feb-07 13:22:37

When I met DP most of his clithes had been bought for him by his ex wife, who was old enough to be his mother

Most of them have been "lost" though

Ellbell Tue 20-Feb-07 13:26:49

IME might be better to leave it to him mum.

DH 'accidentally' bought some XXL underpants (I know... don't ask... he claims they were on the wrong pile or something). He didn't take them back and change them for a more appropriate size. Oh no! He wears them ... even though he could easily fit his packed lunch, bottle of water, newspaper, car keys, mobile phone and the bloody kitchen sink into the loose material that bags around his groin. They are hideous. One of these days I am going to wait till he goes out and then put them all (it was a pack of 5 of something) in the bin.

Wish his mum had bought his pants. She has good taste. (Not in pants... obviously I have no idea about my MIL's taste in pants... but generally...)

FioFio Tue 20-Feb-07 13:28:49

Message withdrawn

PandaG Tue 20-Feb-07 13:31:49

I'm with you TC. My mum still buys me underwear too - is historical as I always had a 5 pack of socks and pants in my stocking as a child and teenager then always had them at extra pressies at Christmas when I was a skint student and still do now. Mum also buys socks and boxers for DH too, when she doesn't know what else to buy him. Saves us some money

FioFio Tue 20-Feb-07 13:32:34

Message withdrawn

Freckle Tue 20-Feb-07 13:47:03

Not certain why a 26 yo man not buying his own underwear means his attitude will spill over into other areas and become intolerable. How exactly?

Seems a bizarre attitude - yours not his. As I said, dh never bought his own underwear - or anything else much as he absolutely loathes shopping for clothes. At least this way I can ensure that he wears half-decent stuff rather than buying rubbish stuff himself.

chopchopbusybusy Tue 20-Feb-07 13:53:37

I don't think it sounds weird TBH. If she's doing his washing for him then she's probably just decided that he needs some new underwear and so she's bought it for him. We are all mothers - is there a magical cut off age where buying underwear for our children becomes "weird". As long as they don't have Thomas the Tank Engine on them I wouldn't worry about it.

Tortington Tue 20-Feb-07 13:54:08

you can ensure he gets half decent stuff?

seriously

think about it.

full grown man can't buy his own grundies.

Tortington Tue 20-Feb-07 13:55:53

my son is 17 i dont buy him gruds anymore.

i have better things to do - he earns a wage and knows where town is.

and to be quite honest he wouldnt want me to buy his gruds - anymore than i would want him to buy my keckers.

its all sensationally bizarre in the extreme IMO.

Freckle Tue 20-Feb-07 13:55:58

I don't need to think about it seriously. I buy his stuff because he can't be arsed.

Tortington Tue 20-Feb-07 14:00:06

ah that gives a different impression than becuase you can ensure good quality grundies.

cant be arsed = old grundies with holes in in our house.

scotlou Tue 20-Feb-07 14:02:49

I have NEVER bought my own pants! (and I'm 41) When I lived at home, my mum bought me them - and I would get them at Christmas and birthdays. Because of thinking them as "presents" I don't buy my own! Now dh buys me them.

oliveoil Tue 20-Feb-07 14:02:58

well

my inlaws are off to Australia for a month next week (when I will become a SAHM!! arrrghhhghghghghghghghgh for A MONTH arrrghghghghghghghghghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

anyway

he phoned and said can you bring me some boxers please from Costco when you come over?

and they duly have/will do

suedonim Tue 20-Feb-07 14:03:41

It's not weird. I still buy boxers and socks for my ds's who are 31 and 27. What else am I going to get them for Xmas???? But Xmas just gone, I didn't buy the usual undies and there were howls of protest all round.

I also buy my dd and dil pyjamas each Xmas, it's just a present, it doesn't mean they can't buy their own pj's. I buy dh's boxers too, so I can deck him out in pink stripes, flowers etc. And if I see a bargain when I'm out I'll pick it up. One can never have enough undies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now