Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Anyone else's husband a klutz/clown?

(10 Posts)
dontbesillyhenry Wed 28-Dec-16 19:13:16

It's getting really wearing now. Over the last week he has lost 60 pounds in cash money given to the kids for Christmas. He was 'looking after' our sons money just- ten minutes later it's not in his pocket anymore- we just found it in the bin 😡
He's thrown out important documents sentimental things clothes and even presents before. I love him but I'm sick and tired off this and have issues ultimatums time and time again that he needs to change but he seems totally unable to.
Anyone else got an other half like this and how the hell do you cope?

Jog22 Wed 28-Dec-16 20:13:26

Is there any chance he's doing this on purpose?

dontbesillyhenry Wed 28-Dec-16 20:24:44

No because I make him replace any lost money he misplaces. He would be a total idiot if he was doing it on purpose

SingingSeal Wed 28-Dec-16 20:30:14

how is he at work, do you know?

what explanation does he give for his klutzdom?

has he always been this way i.e. before you married?

offside Wed 28-Dec-16 20:34:57

I think you need to start following through with your ultimatums. Once you say you're going to do something and you don't, he's never going to take you seriously. This.does sound exhausting though.

dontbesillyhenry Wed 28-Dec-16 21:40:10

He seems to manage at work just fine.
Which is what pisses me off so much. Hopeless at home but can follow orders at work. Says it all.
It's the kids he hurts when he loses their money etc

user1480613212 Thu 29-Dec-16 05:22:22

There could be underlying health / mental issues.

RiceCrispieTreats Thu 29-Dec-16 05:47:06

It could be so many things, OP. From sabotage, to early onset dementia.

user1479302027 Thu 29-Dec-16 10:50:06

I am the other half "a bit like this" unfortunately!

I do try and focus, and put effort in, but sometimes I am in a lot of pain and I just make glaring mistakes - administered my daughter's inhaler with the lid still on for two days; lose money, drop things when washing up etc etc. Morally, I feel I am trying and that's what I can do; I understand that living with a "clown" might not be everone's dream life, however.

All I can say is that he might be trying, and an ultimatum might not help. It might be due to a general daydeaminess, which can hardly be re-engineered, or as user1480613212 mentions, there might be an underlying reason that it is unfair to "blame" him for. In my case, maybe my partner will eventually leave because I am not able to function 100%, as I have done for the last 20 years.

Does he offer explanations why he makes the errors?

RandomMcRandomer Thu 29-Dec-16 10:56:16

I'm like this. I likely have asd and I think it's related to that. I just genuinely loose track
Of things. Actual stuff as well as thoughts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now