Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Starting to plan divorce

(7 Posts)
Divorceonthehorizon2017 Wed 28-Dec-16 15:20:12

Here's a cliche, disastrous Christmas now talking about divorce.
I haven't a clue where I stand financially / legally. Married 7 years, 2 children of primary age. I work part time, self employed, potential to increase hours over next year. Will still be term time only (so no pay in holidays). He's self employed too. House with quite a lot of equity, I own 60% share.
Need to stay in area to allow both children to finish primary but it's expensive here and I'd rather move closer to family once both in secondary (secondary schools accessible from there).
I plan to look for more work, up my income, will this help my mortgage chances? Or is being self employed a big problem? What about in the meantime, I've read i can't make him leave? And I can't afford this house alone. Would I get a larger percentage of equity as I will have the children with me?
Currently going from sobbing in the middle of the night to feeling quite excited about the future,then crashing down again.
Would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

sodonesooverit Wed 28-Dec-16 16:18:05

No advice but I'm doing the same - it's scary but I know I won't be feeling the same this time next year

PovertyPain Wed 28-Dec-16 18:49:19

Sorry I can't advise you both, but I'll bump the thread for you.

Divorceonthehorizon2017 Wed 28-Dec-16 20:07:16

Thank you. Would really appreciate some words of wisdom. Sorry you're in the same boat sodone.

Carlinamoon1 Thu 29-Dec-16 22:34:28

I can sympathise as I was going through this 2 years ago. My daughters are older but I did get a greater share of the equity from the house sale but getting a mortgage was a nightmare. The house sold in August and I've been renting ever since and I will be for a while longer. However, it's all worth it to be rid of the bastard, I can't even begin to tell you how good that feels! grin

Divorceonthehorizon2017 Fri 30-Dec-16 08:25:13

Thank you Carlina, the equity side sounds positive, not so the mortgage though. I can imagine the feeling of freedom, how life must be so much easier... I wish you all the best.

jeaux90 Fri 30-Dec-16 08:30:53

I would use a decent mortgage advisor for starters. You could also look into the help to buy if there are any new builds in the area. That is where the government put the 20% in if under your scenario houses are expensive and you can't quite afford the bedrooms you need etc.

I'm a single mum, honestly it's actually easier once you get things sorted and the finances working etc.

Good luck xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now