Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

AIBU to be upset by this behaviour?

(12 Posts)
Confettina Mon 26-Dec-16 19:23:56

My father and step mother were due to come for Christmas dinner.

She had already decided she wasn't 'doing' Christmas this year as her DC were going to be doing other things. They said they would come to ours to see DC and eat after initially declining the offer.

DP's mother who my father and step mother would be meeting for the first time was here.

My father arrived alone. I had cooked enough for all of us.

He said step mother finds it too upsetting that we put our boisterous puppy in his crate when we have guests as he pees with excitement, charges around and jumps up.

This is also the reason she never comes here.

Abu or is she?

MoonshineJungle Mon 26-Dec-16 19:25:50

Your house your rules

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Mon 26-Dec-16 19:26:24

You need to take control of the dog. I trained my mums dog in 3 days after him peeing on your feet for 3 years with excitement.

She should have spoken up before the day.

You are both unreasonable. Crating an excited dog does not train him in appropriate behaviour.

AmberEars Mon 26-Dec-16 19:28:01

At least your Dad came without her and you got to see him. I would focus on that to be honest as it may be that you'll never have a great relationship with her.

PberryT Mon 26-Dec-16 19:30:19

Train your dog.

She's nbu, one of those things.

Lunar1 Mon 26-Dec-16 19:38:15

You probably had a better day without her there. I'll behonest it's good that your dad still came, so many would have just stayed home with the new wife.

ScarletForYa Mon 26-Dec-16 19:39:36

Euw!

doyouhearthesteepleping Mon 26-Dec-16 19:43:49

V rude to accept an invitation then not turn up, but I suspect there's a lot more going on. Is it possible that your dad is fudging the issue a bit?

If your dog is young enough to still be a puppy, surely it can't have been the reason for her to 'never' come, unless their relationship is extremely new?

BubblingUp Mon 26-Dec-16 19:46:13

Is this really about the dog?

Confettina Mon 26-Dec-16 20:21:00

They've been together for four years and are married. My brother has never taken to her but I've felt we've always got on....

I don't know, their life does rather revolve around her family and grandkids imo... DP thinks it's more than the dog, maybe she doesn't like me?!

Confettina Mon 26-Dec-16 20:21:31

I've always made a real effort to be kind to her btw

WonderMike Mon 26-Dec-16 20:43:53

She'd rather the dog weed on her? How does that work?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now