Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How to survive staying with family...

(10 Posts)
Misty9 Mon 26-Dec-16 08:51:42

Am away for Christmas with my family, my mother and her husband, my brother and his family, and my brother and partner. It's all innocuous enough, but lots of water under the bridge from childhood (which was not a happy time for me) and I just can't relax. I feel really on edge and reacting negatively to everything. But I can't seem to stop it and it's making things worse sad

Currently hiding in my bedroom while dh and the kids, and the rest of them, are in the living room. Have got two more days of this - how do I survive?! For context, relationship with mother is pretty toxic and her husband is a short tempered rude man.

Help!

happychristmasbum Mon 26-Dec-16 08:56:18

All I can suggest is that you promise yourself you won't put yourself through this again - why are you there?

Kr1stina Mon 26-Dec-16 08:58:22

Why are you making your DH and kids spend christmas with your toxic and rude family ?

MrsBertBibby Mon 26-Dec-16 09:00:06

Why don't you just leave early?

Misty9 Mon 26-Dec-16 09:13:40

Am considering trying to leave early tomorrow. Why are we here? Because we couldn't not come without causing lots more stress and emotional trauma. Don't worry though, I do not intend to repeat it! Christmas at home from now on.

I just feel like I'm the problem.

Kr1stina Mon 26-Dec-16 09:19:37

If you didnt go, how would you , your DH and your children have stress and emotional trauma ? Wouldn't you be at home having a lovely Christmas ?

Misty9 Mon 26-Dec-16 19:59:37

We would be at home having a lovely (as lovely as Christmas with DC under 5 is!) But the fallout from not going would be significant... so am setting expectations now with our decision to have Christmas as home from now on.

Have survived today with minimal snarky commentary...and off to dh family party tomorrow for some respite fgrin

Doesn't anyone else spend time with family but not particularly enjoy it?!

Lessthanaballpark Mon 26-Dec-16 20:02:46

Same here. I love my parents but it's my brother with his little jibes and worse, his son doing the same!

Just hang on in there. It's only once a year.

Kr1stina Mon 26-Dec-16 20:42:24

Yes I spend time with family and don't particularly enjoy it all the time.

But I don't expect my husband and kids to spend time with family who are toxic, short tempered and rude. And I certainly wouldn't go away with or stay at the home of such people , where's there's no escape.

fc301 Mon 26-Dec-16 22:18:27

You have been bullied into going. You went because you HOPED it would be ok. This was a mistake. It's not going wrong because of you, they are making you feel that.
You need boundaries e.g., we will always have our Xmas at home, we will visit u but not overnight.
Life is too short for this bullshit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now