Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What's the name for it?

(11 Posts)
wideboy26 Sun 25-Dec-16 09:35:06

When you say to somebody 'Would you please not do X or do Y' and that person says 'Well you do A or don't do B'. It's turning it back on you and deflecting from the implied criticism of their behaviour. I call it bloody childish, but there is a term for it in the psychology of relationships lexicon. Merry Christmas to all.

ChaChaChaCh4nges Sun 25-Dec-16 09:37:03

I'd just call it deflection. I'd deal with it by saying something like "We'll talk about A/B next, but right now the conversation is about X/Y".

reader77 Sun 25-Dec-16 09:40:15

Blame shifting?

Tit for tat 😖

OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Sun 25-Dec-16 12:35:06

I call it a competition I didn't enter. It's a roadblock to communication about an issue that you raise.

But yes to deflection and blame shifting.

ChuckSnowballs Sun 25-Dec-16 12:41:18

It is a diversionary tactic to get you on the defence.

Ellisandra Sun 25-Dec-16 12:54:41

Ah, that.
I call it being a cunt.
Although deflection is probably a more technical term.

Every raised issue with my XH, from three day old skid marks to fucking prostitutes?

Well, I did occasionally leave my towel on the bathroom floor.

Fair point, well made. grin

I think ChaChaCha's response is good.

wideboy26 Sun 25-Dec-16 13:46:23

Where I experience it, it comes across as an excessive form of defence. Christ, I haven't got an answer for what you're asking me not to do - I know, I'll raise the stakes by counter-accusing you of something worse.

After 40 years I don't even bother to point things out now, I just do it myself and seethe quietly. However, yesterday morning the accused walked in while I was putting matters right so I said 'When you do X, do you think you could also do Y?' I did weigh up the consequences of speaking out rather than keeping quiet and did I regret it! So it's WW3 for a day or two (with a houseful of guests) and we'll sort it out in a few days' time no doubt. The counter -arguments beggar belief, but that's detail.

Waitingforsleep Sun 25-Dec-16 16:21:10

Gaslighting?
I have pulled dh on this behaviour he is a good bloke but for some reason can't take any criticism. I think it could be as his mum is a perfectionist so may be from that? It's destructive though

Patsy99 Sun 25-Dec-16 18:57:34

Isn't it derailing? Derailing the topic being discussed to something not actually relevant.

I Like chachacha's tactic.

Chickenagain Sun 25-Dec-16 19:46:45

I think you are describing 'projecting'.

wideboy26 Mon 26-Dec-16 00:07:10

If I could identify the conventional term for it, I could probably read up on how to deal with it. Hence my question in the title to this thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now